Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Is this type of text doable in TextMeshPro? if so, how?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Jay-Woody, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Jay-Woody

Jay-Woody

text_example.jpg

Is there a way to make chunkier multiple outlines in TMPro like in the above picture? Setting outline to 1 gives a pretty thin outline compared to the example and I haven't found a way to go beyond the max setting of 1. If this is not doable in TextMeshPro what is the suggested route for getting these types of customized fonts into Unity?

2. Jay-Woody

Jay-Woody

Okay so I didn't understand it at first but you have to set the padding size bigger when creating the font asset with the "Font asset creator" to increase the possible outline size, but now the outlines are going on top of other characters and not forming a unified area behind the characters like in the above picture. Do I have to make multiple copies of the text or is there way to set the "outline" and "glow" to appear behind the text?

3. Jay-Woody

Jay-Woody

I guess the best looking solution I found is to make multiple copies of the text and use only outline. I think I'm going with that for the time being and see if the performance isn't affected too much.

4. Jay-Woody

Jay-Woody

Now that I want to fade out the texts with a canvas group this nice thing happens:
    text_example2.jpg

Is there any other way to do a nice fadeout of multiple overlapping objects other than generating a camera with a render target for every small piece of UI element I spawn?

I know this might not be the right place to ask this question, but I bet a lot of people who use TextMeshPro are running into this exact problem.