Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this slow...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taumel, Mar 14, 2006.

1. taumel

taumel

Hi,

i just had a chance to look at how fast an intel-iMac20 is. I tested some unity and blitzmax stuff and with the tests i did the intel-iMac20 is nearly as slow as my miniMac(1.25).

It seems that the whole 3d stuff is slowed down a lot. My Radeon 9800pro on the pc looks a lot smoother than the X1600 on the mac. I was really surprised by this.

Bamboo for instance wasn't this smooth and beside of this depending of the light position parallax mapping was flipping to normal texturemapping and back...

As for blitzMax the pc-default grid (number 13) runs here with 6ms. On the iMac it ran with 32ms. 33ms on my miniMac. It was completely bottlenecked on the gfx-side.

I will go there again if building usb works...

Greetings,

taumel

2. taumel

taumel

I went there again and now it's quite smooth... :O)

Regards,

taumel

3. dacloo

dacloo

Taumel; I have the 20" iMac too. Unity is not usable on this machine yet.
    Don't forget Unity is being *emulated* on the Intel iMac using Rosetta.
    Everything needs to be translated from PowerPC native code into Intel native code.
    When the new Unity version will be out, it will be a Universal Binary. You'll see that it will run much faster than your MiniMac then!

4. taumel

taumel

Hi dacloo,

i wasn't talking about the ide. I meant by unity released stuff and as usbs are possible it runs fast and smooth now...

Regards,

taumel