Search Unity

Is this project worth continuing???

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by KeiTagura, Mar 28, 2012.

?

Scrap or Keep on trucking?

Poll closed May 17, 2012.
  1. No worth it, junk it~

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Finish it, or your not a Pastafarian!

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  1. KeiTagura

KeiTagura

Ok, so I have a bit of an issue, I'v been working over several games when I can, for over half a year now in hopes to publish them, but to day while in the car with my brother, he turned to me while on his iTouch and and asked me "isn't this this the game your trying to make?" and he showed me the new angry birds in space and I was like "$#@!!!".

Over all the goal of my game and the goal of angry birds is different but the mechanics and objects are now a lot alike, and i'm not to sure if can differentiate enough from Angry Birds in Space to be worth continuing .

Here's some info on that specific game I'm working on.

Test build Info:
    All of the art in the build are place holders and several game functions aren't done, like
    on impact replace red box with animated sprite (the island and life forms growing on the planet after impact) and other stuff like that.

Screnshoot:
    $Plantez.jpg
    (not an actual level just placed all the planets in the same scene for testing)

WebPlayer:
    http://dnxtudio.com/TestBuild.html

Game goal is to hit the target planet (its the red plant in the test build)

With the right mouse button pull red box towards direction you wish to shoot and control strength.
    Use the reset button to fire box again.

Green Planet = Repel
    Pink = Attract--------(pulls you towards it)
    Orange = Sticky---------(you wont bounce of this planet no mater how hard you hit it your just stuck)
    Yellow = Orbit-----------(you can re-launch the red box while orbiting here)
    Purple = Black hole---(Very strong gravity/large pull radius)

Game Story: It is about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and how it created/commanded "something" (was still deciding on what it was) to bring life to various planets, and your job was to help get it to the target planet.

So should I just scrap this one and work on the other games or should I just go ahead and finish this one up, I would appreciate any constructive feed back?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Dude, can you at least add a text box to explain whats going on in the game, I normally play games on here before reading the entire post, I was completely lost .
    Its all up to you, like for me I felt good just putting out the pretty game I have now on the droid market . That telling friends to try it. so for me game design is more about what you learn, not what you make, ect . But my personal opinion is that the game isn't even fun , like I found my self geting upset that i couldn't hit the red planet. At the same time if you added cool effects( use the look scripts to make the planets look at you!) it could be an awesome game

Add some instructions and tell people to try it , sound effects would be cool too , here are some links to get started

http://superflashbros.net/as3sfxr/

http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html

3. KeiTagura

KeiTagura

not trying to be rude but,

..... its not my fault you don't read, its a "Test Build" not the actual game all it is is showing the mechanics, so no sounds no real effects nothing in it is even final.

But yes it wouldn't be a bad idea to add an instruction text box for folks like you.

4. Max_Damage

Max_Damage

I like the idea. I think you should carry on with this.
    My first thought was to add a wandering wormhole that you could fly into and exit at the wandering exit hole...if you know what I mean?

5. cgunby12

cgunby12

I think what you got here is a pretty good little build.
    I am not a pro and still sort of new with all the game development stuff but I think what you have here is definitely worth keeping the project alive. Angry Birds Space is not the first game to use those mechanics there are plenty that are set up that way and I think your story and the actual game play differ enough to finish it up. all that is really the same is the fact that it is in space and planets have orbit. And Angry Birds Space isnt even that great.

But yeah i think getting a good look for the game and finalizing the mechanics of it will assure a solid game here. I love gravity based puzzles so i will definitely be checking this out more.

And not tryin to be rude, ha. But in your poll. Its you're* not your. :p

6. Fu11English

Fu11English

I think this has some potential with some more work and I don't immediately thing Angry Birds Space either. This is quite a different concept and can stand on it's own.

Love the Flying Spaghetti Monster idea too. :)

7. jedy

jedy

I didn't read your post... Had a hard time to get to that goal :D

It's a cool game. If you can make a bunch of puzzles with it - it is going to turn out great!

8. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Looks very nice so far. Go for it. If you keep developing you're probably sooner or later also find some ideas in how to distance from Angry Birds Space further.

9. prophet

prophet

Continue it. There are alot of similiar games out there, but atleast you know one that is similiar to yours and you can the distance yourself from it.

10. TehWut

TehWut

I think it's great and you should continue with it definitely. May the flying spaghetti monster reach down and touch you with his noodley appendage. ;)

11. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

It takes 2 minutes to draw a GUI box with instructions on what it is .
    Sound effects will take another 5 minutes
    Straight from the unity API

Code (csharp):
    2. // Play impact audio clip when colliding with something
    3. var impact : AudioClip;
    4. function OnCollisionEnter () {
    5.     audio.PlayOneShot(impact);
    6. }
    attach this to the red planet, and make a sound using the software I linked to .

12. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Even just for testing, sound effects will help make the game feel more interactive