Search Unity

Is this possible? (potential 'new' application / research project)

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Jub4i, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Jub4i

Jub4i

Hi Unity-Community,

i've a question concerning the state of the art of Unity and its application(s).

Before I (boldly) want to state my question and the idea behind it, let me tell you that I'm neither a Unity user or a tech nerd. Actually, I've no idea how 3D rendering etc. works. Therefore, my apologies in advance if I do not use the correct technical terms...I'm more of a 'creative' guy and I'm well connected with artists, directors and actors.

Okay, after this 'introduction' I'm shooting straight for my question:

Is it possible in Unity to creating something close to the ADAM movie (I think everybody here knows the movie
    ) in 'real time' on an actual stage?

What I want to do is something like that:
    Imagine a real stage with audience sitting in front of the stage (yeah, we call something like that a theater ;-) ). On stage are real actors playing a scene. On stage we also have a large screen in the background. The screen 'interacts' with the stage setting (say in the foreground we have a set-up like a room - let's say a church - and the screen mimics this set up -> say the screen shows the whole church in the background).
    Now, the real actors on the stage play a scene - let's say they do a dance. However, backstage we have another actor. He also does the dance BUT he is 'real time' rendered into another shape - let's say an alien so that everybody understands. Backstage we have a camera so that the actor can also see the audience and, hence, interact with them. I hope this very simple example shows what I would like to achieve.

Reason why I'm asking: Theaters are actually dead. Nobody goes there. It's an dying art form, because it's quite old school and people are not anymore used to it (people stay home and netflix and chill). People in the theater scene desperately looking for new opportunities / ways to 'improve' theater.

I had this idea with a couple of friends and thought I'm asking 'the experts' out there if this would even be possible.

Kind regards,
    J

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Certainly possible. Deakin Motion Lab near me are doing exactly that.