Search Unity

Is this even possible? (AR question)

Discussion in 'Android' started by Jopan, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Jopan

Jopan

So, I've been working at this problem all day, and at this point I just want to know if it's possible. I'm trying to prototype an idea. Basically, I want to do some Augmented Reality stuff, but I don't want to do it using a marker or reference point. I have unity showing the webcam view (from my android device) and I put in a simple sphere for testing. I set it up so that I could rotate the camera using Input.gyro.attitude. The only thing that is giving me trouble now is Translating the camera. Since I have no reference point, I can't move the camera relative to a marker or anything like that. I looked into Input.location and found that (unsurprisingly) it wasn't accurate enough. The only thing I can think would work is Input.accelerationEvents or Input.gyro.userAcceleration. But, no matter how much I mess with either of them, I can't seem to get any consistent movement. I basically need it to be accurate enough so that if a model is somewhere in a room, you can walk around it and look at it and it will stay in the same place relative to it's real life environment. Or, another example would be if you walk to a specific location then walked away from that location and then walked back to the first location, the vantage point would have to be really accurate. So before I take this any further with more testing, does anybody know if this sounds like a feasible idea, or is the data from our mobile devices just not that consistent yet?

2. Agent_007

Agent_007

3. Jopan

Jopan

Thanks for the response. I have tried Vuforia before, but I don't want to use markers to track. I want to be able to do positional tracking.

4. lmbarns

lmbarns

Not possible. If you didn't like vuforia there's always metaio ($6k) that has markerless tracking. But simply using an accelerometer as input there's no way you can do rotation and translation accurately.....check out Gyrodroid for playing with gyros/compass in your phone, it has some 3d objects that stay in place as you move the phone around, but not nearly as good as tracking a target, and it only covers rotation as there's no way to do markerless tracking without an external plugin like OpenCV or an existing AR framework....

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014