Search Unity

Is this done with Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taumel, Sep 22, 2006.

1. taumel

taumel

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/redline/

Honestly if you compare this with actual or even older racing games on the pc it looks a little bit like it somehow felt through a worm hole from the past into the present...

2. taumel

taumel

3. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

No, he didn't use Unity. See http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=20646)

Give them a break. It was a two person production, and Jonas Echterhoff, the developer who by the way is a big total car-buff (and who did a three month internship with us last summer) focused a lot of his time on making a superb car model. Try out the demo to see if you will agree.

I think it's a very neat game (even if it's not made with Unity).

d.

4. taumel

taumel

>>>
    No, he didn't use Unity. See http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=20646)
    <<<

Ah okay...the description just sounded a bit after unity (rendering physics)and i also thought the Nebulus clone was done with it.

>>>
    Give them a break. It was a two person production, and Jonas Echterhoff, the developer who by the way is a big total car-buff (and who did a three month internship with us last summer) focused a lot of his time on making a superb car model. Try out the demo to see if you will agree.
    <<<

No problem. I've already tried it. Well, i'm not so much into driving games but there are so many better driving games around on the PC and the consoles. If there does not exist a racing game for the mac fine.

Personally i buy a indie game if it offers me something which i don't get from full price games like some of the puzzle games or take Geometry Wars as an example but i don't see any reason for buying something which i can get a) in a much better quality and b) also cheaper when i take a older budget version in the stores lying around.

If BootCamp is an option i would also prefer going this route and buy one of these games as it would be more fun.

As for the game:

What i like is the sound, the colours and the trees. What i dislike is the navigation structure, the glitches with the shadows on the cars and with the baked lightning. The steering isn't fun, the models don't look good no demolition modell, the demo tracks are boring...

If it's fun obviously develop whatever you wan't but personally i try to stay out of stuff where the big boys are doing much better work. But as i said before maybe there is no competition on the mac. I mean just check out TestDrive Unlimited...

Regards,

taumel

5. pete

pete

too funny. 2 people posting at the same time about this. i just dl'd it. looks great! i love racing games. i used to play redline rumble on the shockwave site. did Jonas do that one? wasted many an hour with that one.

tamuel my friend, you are tough to please! i see your point though and certainly the next gen stuff is mind blowing. it looks like a fair amount of effort was put in on redline and i think there's still room for games like this. maybe not from your pocket book. i'll let you know about mine once i've played it ;)

6. taumel

taumel

I know what you mean but i somehow don't agree.

a) The price difference isn't an argument anymore if you take into account how much more fun you get out of a more professional product. TestDrive Unlimited for example sells for $40 and for this difference you simply get much much more. And as i said if you want it below then go for a budget racer which is a bit older. Still you will get more.

b) Secondly we're somehow not talking about NextGen anymore. If i remember right a system like the xbox360 is around since may 2005 (maybe it feels more like nextgen because sony isn't able to deliver since some time but this should change by the end of this years at least in Japan and the USA) and as i said pc stuff already looked better some time ago.

c) I see a nice niche market for indie games which offer something beside of what EA, Vivendi,... is able to offer with million budgets. But making the same thing just worse isn't the solution in my opinion.

d) It's not that only i would see it like this. If you take a look at professional game mags than their critics are really harsh about such stuff. If someone knows something like the "Test Check" in the german gamemagazine Gamestar on their DVD then you know what i mean. Without a single doubt they would give you the advice to go for a budget racer instead. And if Mac then go for BootCamp if possible.

e) The mac is a little bit like a ex communist protected country. Games related it's years behind what's going on on the others systems and as there do not exist so many good games like on other systems you still have a chance to sell a game in this quality. This and that people are willing to pay for stuff are the attractive sides of the mac. The not for games built hardware (suckish gfx cards) and the market share are the downsides.

But don't get me wrong there is no offence to the developers. It's just how i see it...

Feel free to buy an enjoy it,

taumel

7. pete

pete

i think price is a valid issue. young folks don't have alot of cash and it's more than $40 for older folks like me. it's a new console or a new pc. my cash goes to my family home and then to my work equipment. then there's the retirement fund and vacations and the kids' sports stuff and... it's a lot easier for me to justify $20 a couple times a year. i think that's why the casual market is strong. instant gratification and low guilt on the spend.

i agree the non-upgradable gpu thing stinks. still crap games are not a mac problem. they're on every platform. some of them are even fun. that's really all that matters. but certainly good on you for wanting to push the envelope and maybe you're right that the mac market has lower standards because it doesn't get much. not that rr is crap. i haven't played yet.

really i don't care too much about the mac vs pc games market. to make any cash at all i'll need to have my crap game available for windows just out of sheer numbers. BUT there's no other machine i'd rather develop on than a mac. course unity lets you do both pretty easy ;) bonus!

(and i'm kidding - i'm not trying to just throw a crap game at the masses but hopefully you get my point.)

8. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Can you just chill a little bit :wink:

I'd be much more into you're criticisms if your own work was fantabulous and pushed the limits of said crappy Apple GFX hardware, but your own work is easily handled by said crappy hardware and it's hard to take you seriously when you yourself are not working to push the tech to its limits (I do like your whimsical creations though).

And besides, either platform (PC/Mac) has the same bleeding edge uber GFX cards available if you have the money to buy them. You know full well that the lowest end PC has the same GFX power as the lowest end Mac (and same for highend)... you're just being bitchy about it and are very slow to come around to admitting that Macs aren't so bad.

And the fact that Macs are "years" behind in gaming is a marketing factor that can be attributed to the individual game developer's lack of scope and not the lack of capability of the hardware to run the game... Quake 2000 whatever, Doom3, or Call of Duty 2 all run fine on any Mac made in the last couple of years.

Get over it, nothing you are creating is pushing the technological boundaries of either platform (me neither). Let's just focus on the gaming ideas instead of the technology that may or may not help you create a better game. The pure pixel pushing is just a small aspect of what makes a good game.

BTW, I just bought Okami tonight for the PS2... living proof that next-gen technology is unnecessary to make a great, and visually stunning, game. Anyone that owns a PS2, grab this game, especially if you like quirky platformers or realtime quest games like Zelda.

9. taumel

taumel

Ahhh Antenna...

>>>
    Can you just chill a little bit :wink:
    <<<

?

>>>
    I'd be much more into you're criticisms if your own work was fantabulous and pushed the limits of said crappy Apple GFX hardware, but your own work is easily handled by said crappy hardware and it's hard to take you seriously when you yourself are not working to push the tech to its limits (I do like your whimsical creations though).
    <<<

Well, i would say you've never seen stuff from me which i do for a living just some free playarounds i've posted here or really old stuff i do have on my webiste so i quite don't know how you wanna judge what i' able to do and what not.

My tryouts are easily handeled by crappy graphics because they are done on/for crappy graphics...

>>>
    And besides, either platform (PC/Mac) has the same bleeding edge uber GFX cards available if you have the money to buy them. You know full well that the lowest end PC has the same GFX power as the lowest end Mac (and same for highend)... you're just being bitchy about it and are very slow to come around to admitting that Macs aren't so bad.
    <<<

Nope, beside of the mac pro you can't choose your graphics card. And there users have to pay extra to get a decent model. The rest is fixed with old stuff. The best you can get under a mac pro is a downclocked 128MB card today. You know that it's some years ago when 128MB cards were sold in this price range on pc?!

Apple hardware consists of a lot of Intel chips&motherboard, slower gfx hardware, a lousy soundchip compared to an Audigy, a nice design which i don't see a lot because i watch my screen and not my computer (and if you take the iMac then i prefer a modern flat screen instad of a chunky display), a bad mouse, a bad keyboard (typing this on my IBM RS6000 keyboard), not so good harddrives, hardware bugs as each other system has and and and ...

No i really don't think that i'm a fan of the Apple hardware. If they would enhance the mini graphics or bring out a reasonable priced system like a new cube where i could use the monitor of my choice with well thought out components and make this system silent then i would say yes this is a great system. Till today each mac line has it's own design flaws for what i would like to use the system for.

>>>
    And the fact that Macs are "years" behind in gaming is a marketing factor that can be attributed to the individual game developer's lack of scope and not the lack of capability of the hardware to run the game... Quake 2000 whatever, Doom3, or Call of Duty 2 all run fine on any Mac made in the last couple of years.
    <<<

As written above the graphics hardware is worse and the openGL drivers aren't as fast as on windows too. Beside of that most of the games use DirectX...

>>>
    Get over it, nothing you are creating is pushing the technological boundaries of either platform (me neither). Let's just focus on the gaming ideas instead of the technology that may or may not help you create a better game. The pure pixel pushing is just a small aspect of what makes a good game.
    <<<

Well, i' not sure what you exactly mean with this but i've often enough pushed the limits with what i had to do in a certain environment so i would say i already did several times and probably will do again. So speak for yourself here...

Antenna why are you so fixed about pushing pixels? Do you somehow miss a certain pixellength? One truism after the other from you...

>>>
    BTW, I just bought Okami tonight for the PS2... living proof that next-gen technology is unnecessary to make a great, and visually stunning, game. Anyone that owns a PS2, grab this game, especially if you like quirky platformers or realtime quest games like Zelda.
    <<<

You don't need a PS2 my friend. If you enjoy older stuff more then i suggest you go for some PS1 games. I'm sure you can also find a lot of good games for this platform too, it's even cheaper. If this is still too advanced for you you maybe wanna go for a NES or even older gaming hardware. There is a huge world of fantastic old games to explore for you. You don't need 3D to enjoy a game. Why don't you sell unity and write some great text adventures?! I even had a lot of fun with those...

10. Marble

Marble

I believe the hardware capability is there on the Mac, we just haven't seen many high-performance games written with the Mac in mind. Almost every modern, high-tech game is a port, and therefore at least slightly inferior to its counterpart. There is very little evidence, least of all compelling evidence, that suggests that game performance potential is in any way less on the Mac OS than on Windows.

This makes me think that the big problem is money. It costs so much to create high-tech games that most are made with the largest audience in mind. What we need is a tool that lets us build high-tech games with the Mac in mind, that is also affordable in cost and cost of effort. Oh wait, that's Unity.

Guys, this is our chance.

11. Morgan

Morgan

I never like to see long, heartfelt posts analyzing why people should appreciate an indie game less than they do :D