Search Unity

[Closed] Is this a viable Unity IAP strategy?

Discussion in 'Unity IAP' started by Dman00Cman, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dman00Cman

Dman00Cman

I am looking to monetize via in app purchases of cosmetic items. I would also like users to be able to acquire these items via a virtual currency which the user earns through ads and retention mechanics. In order to ensure items are actually purchased, I want to perform local receipt validation from storefronts to actually unlock the items in app rather than keeping some sort of purchase flag in local storage.

Is it viable for me to have multiple product IDs per cosmetic item, one for traditional IAP purchase, and another for the purchase via virtual currency that would have a store cost of $0? Obviously I would need to manage virtual currency numbers and state regarding a purchase being valid. I want to do this in order to generate a receipt for these transactions so I don't have to keep track of coin purchases myself. This would also aid in recovery of purchases.

Will storefronts (Google Play and Apple) let me do this? Am I missing an easier alternative?

Thanks for any help.

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Google Play and Apple IAP only support virtual products currently, not hard goods. Although not a specific recommendation, payment providers like Stripe https://stripe.com/docs/mobile/ios might work for you.

3. Dman00Cman

Dman00Cman

Sorry let me clarify, the cosmetic items are virtual backgrounds and skins and the like; no hard goods being sold. The main question is whether having a "Background_1" product for $1 (normal IAP) and a "Background_1_coins" product for $0 (the same product but bought with virtual currency that I manage), is fair use of the storefronts.

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Got it, makes sense now. Good luck with your project, I see no issues. I'm not sure if you can configure products on Google or Apple with a zero price, but would be easy enough to test. But you wouldn't really need to, come to think of it. You could just handle the transaction yourself, within the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.