Search Unity

Is this a bug?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by RvBGames, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RvBGames

RvBGames

@Dantus, out of curiosity are you having a drink today?

There was nothing disrespectful in my post. On the other hand there are some snide remarks above that I blew off. Is it the case that you cannot provide anything useful for the above two questions?

2. Dantus

Dantus

I am not drinking. Good luck with your project.

3. RvBGames

RvBGames

Then you don't know the answer? Is that correct?

4. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Off topic but just my 2 cents, the shaders *are* being compiled on the target platform. The CG and ShaderLab to GLSL compilation happens at build-time but the GLSL to target hardware compilation happens at runtime by the graphics driver.

5. RvBGames

RvBGames

AlkisFortuneFish, do you have a link to any documentation that describes this? And definitely on my topic.

6. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

I can't find a reference in the Unity docs off hand. I guess they consider it assumed knowledge, because this is how the OpenGL desktop and ES 2.0 pipelines work in general. It's a bit of a rude awakening when things go pink on a build that's worked on 9 out of 10 devices because the 10th has a shader compiler that didn't like something, in which case you get a (hopefully useful) error in logcat by the compiler itself.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Looks like you tried to add shadow volumes toolkit and it isn't working - stencil or alpha channel fighting appears to be going on. Just a guess since you've provided no information. But guessing further I would assume an android device and you need to tick 32 bit buffer in player settings.

I would prefer not to lock the thread, so if people are asking for detail it is because they need you to help them understand your problem so they can help you.

8. RvBGames

RvBGames

9. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

It's just a matter of terminology, I would assume they meant their part of the compilation, ie CG/ShaderLab->GLSL and them the GLSL optimization pass, the hardware varies way too wildly to precompile to the actual target binary, even within the same GPU family. If you capture a frame with any graphical debugger and grab the shader program for any draw call you will see the same GLSL code Unity shows when you view compiled shaders.

10. Amon

Amon

@RvBGames

What do you need to do to get the outcome you desire in this thread?

What are you doing now that is not giving you the outcome you desire?

Not saying there is anything wrong with you; there's nothing wrong with you. Maybe your strategy needs a little fine tuning.

Allowing yourself to understand why you are not getting the desired results is the beginning of you getting all the results you have ever wanted. Think of it as a blueprint. Is the current blueprint for your strategy to get results working or do you need to go back to the drawing board?

Again, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with you; there's nothing wrong with you. Sometimes you have to take a step back and stand behind your thoughts allowing yourself to reveal yourself, to yourself.

Remember.........

11. RvBGames

RvBGames

@Amon, reminds me of a really good song:

"Take a straight and stronger course to the corner of your life."
    :
    :
    "Move me on to any black square,
    Use me any time you want,
    Just remember that the goal
    Is for us all to capture all we want."

Honestly Amon, nothing.

12. RvBGames

RvBGames

@JZP, sorry I missed your response earlier. The project does run in linear space, and worked in a previous build. But if needed, I'll try changing it to gamma.

@shaderop, maybe this will help: http://martiancraft.com/blog/2014/08/an-unreal-decision/

@hippocoder, just to clarify the issue here occurs on a Windows machine. Also on Android it has a very long delay moving from the Menu to the first level. And btw, I had both the 32-bit display buffer, and 24-bit depth selected. Regardless of the setting, I get the same results.

13. RvBGames

RvBGames

Here's a screenshot of a quick test level made on the machine with the problem:
    QuickTest.png

14. RvBGames

RvBGames

For those keeping count, and most likely there's probably a couple of you, I think it's the ocean shader:

OceanShader.png

It's not a Unity shader, it's one that uses the GPU to precompute wave heights. I could be wrong but I need to put this on my to do list.

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Cool so after all that, including demanding instant unity support for free and annoying forum members, you finally conclude that it is in fact, your fault, and not a unity shader.

16. Josh-Naylor

Josh-Naylor

Administrator

As many of our experienced community users & moderators pointed out, the forums are not at all the best place to submit bugs and demand support from Unity employees. By submitting a bug report with a project & description so QA can repo is the ideal way to get a bug fix. By all means create a forum thread to see if other users have had similar issues but post the case number so we can assist.

When one of my colleagues does reply back I'd advise you to not reply inappropriately to them or to any user in fact. The community drives this site and helps each other, I'd doubt in the future some of these users will want to help on another one of your problems.

ErwanB, Dantus and NomadKing like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.