Search Unity

Is there possible to BUILD OUT VS PROJECT on the MAC

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Angry-Water, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Angry-Water

Angry-Water

Hi,

I am an old guy on the Unity3D iOS development, but new one on Windows Phone platform.

Because of some reason, I may need to use Unity3D on the Mac but wonder if it can build out the Visual Studio Projects ONLY?

Here is a VMWare way to simulate Windows 8 on the Mac:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/interoperab...-develop-for-windows-phone-8-on-your-mac.aspx

BUT....I don't really need to test it on Mac using windows phone emulators, just need the project and will build it using another PC through NET DISK shared from Mac or just copy it to the PC.

But I can not switch platform to "Windows Phone" on the Mac, seems some package will be needed.

Have anyone here any idea to make it work?

Thanks a lot.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You need Windows 8 to publish WP8 builds. It can't be done on a Mac or earlier versions of Windows. (BTW, VMWare doesn't simulate anything; you buy Windows 8 and run it in a VM, so it's the real thing.)

--Eric

3. Angry-Water

Angry-Water

Yes, I have a PC installed Win 8.1, and I don't want to publish anything on the MAC.

What I asked was, just edit things on the MAC and using "Build" function to export a project only for PC to build app for WP8 or any execution files. NOT need to publish on MAC.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

The build function does not export projects; it makes a build, which runs on people's computers and devices and can't be edited in Unity. If you want to transfer the project from a Mac to a PC, just copy the project folder.

--Eric

5. Angry-Water

Angry-Water

In official document, it said we can design game in editor, using "build" but not "build and run" function to get a PURE visual studio project. (Why can't it be saved out a VS project by U3D of the Mac?)

Just like iOS, using "build" function even doesn't launch XCODE.

I wonder why nobody understand what I said?

I just do NOT want to copy full Unity3D project, but like XCODE project for iOS, and VS project for WINDOWS needed.

VS project just text file and source code only, similar to the .sln files could be read and write on the Mac by the source code editor of Unity3D.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Unity does not do that. If you want to publish a WP8 game in Unity, you run Unity on Windows and make a build. There are no other options, sorry.

--Eric

7. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Hi,

unfortunately, this is not possible. Building for Windows Phone and Windows Store Apps requires SDK, as it actually reads the files from there.

8. Angry-Water

Angry-Water

After trying U3D on PC & Mac, some difference was found in the Build Setting.

This is a screenshot on the Windows, of course, it can be switched platform and build the AngryBot on Windows Phone just for a test:
    WP8ONPC.png

This is the same setting on the Mac version. I don't really think the button of "Module Manager" was just made for fun or some kind of joke, but it indeed is a dead end except that I can find any way to feed it with the unknown module:
    MacNOWP8.png

But.... never mind... I guess the modules will be managed by the Unity3D team in the future if there will really be some modules.

9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Right, it's made so you can use the Windows Phone 8 publishing module. Which is only available on Windows. I'm sorry but you won't get any other answer; that's just the way it is. Maybe your confusion is the result of the WP8 option existing in the platform list on the Mac, but that's because the list is just data, which is universal between Windows and Mac. It's not hard-coded into the Mac version of the editor.

--Eric

10. Angry-Water

Angry-Water

Anyway, thanks.

I won't never know how will it act for Unity3D Windows version, because I had installed Visual Studio 2013 whole package in my Win 8.1 on the PC at first, then install the Unity3D later.

So there is just a "Development Build" check box only when I started the U3D first time, never see any module manager needed.

Just take a guess, maybe U3D team will support some modules for Mac to develop the WP8 project.

11. pumpkinszwan

pumpkinszwan

You must have the relevant Windows Phone (or Windows Store) SDK installed for Unity to build a Windows Phone or Windows Store project. You can't install those SDKs on a Mac, and there's nothing Unity can do about that (Microsoft would have to support Mac with Visual Studio).

If you have Windows 8.1 installed in a VM why don't you just install Unity in the VM along with Visual Studio and the relevant SDK(s)? You can either copy the Unity project to the VM or give the VM access to the Unity project's location on your Mac.

12. Angry-Water

Angry-Water

Actually, I was just evaluating the VMWare in my mind only, not prepared everything.

I have a PC with fully function can develop WP8 project but love the environment of Mac, so just took a look to try it.

Seen official article talking about they will have some plans about this, so took a guess maybe they are working out with Microsoft to find the way out in the future, even seems too hard to do it. (Perhaps VMWare will be considered by them, too.)