Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there anything for creating American Football?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shadow_Scoundrel, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Shadow_Scoundrel

Shadow_Scoundrel

I've been wanting to make an American Football game but the problem is there is no documentation on it. I've seen some tutorial videos for soccer but I don't know how any of that would translate... Anywhere I can look? Even if it's a just a general direction instead of a step by step guide. Been thinking about NFL Street and Madden 2003-2008 a Lot recently. In regards to my knowledge in scripting... bare basics. Hence the reason why I'm looking.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    capjarke likes this.
  2. JoNax97

JoNax97

Sports games include a variety of systems working together, like group AI, physics based interactions and strategic planning. All of these are complex topics and difficult to pull off convincingly. Now I'm not saying it's not possible, but definitely a tall order for a beginner. That's a reason why you won't find much tutorial material on the subject.

My recommendation would be to start with something simpler (simpler does not necessarily mean easier, it means something with less moving parts) that focuses on something you can later translate to your football game. For example, you can try and make a tag game where a group of characters alternatively chase each other. That would teach you about individual AI, basics of movement, and match rules (such as having a win/defeat condition)

Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  3. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Gamers seem to forget the famous Tecmo super bowl. And that game is considered to be the best American football game ever.

Oh yeah, and NFL 2K on the sega dreamcast.

FrankenCreations likes this.
  4. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

To be fair to the millennials here that was 30 years ago. I did get down on some Real Sports Football for the Atari in my youth though. Maybe starting with more of the rules and gameplay than sweet animation and graphics would be a good foundation to build on. I had a handled in the days of led dots that called itself football. The game rules and play were there but players were just single lit leds on a grid. I like the idea of get something simple working and build from there adding to it as you learn along the way.

5. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Just going to second this advice in general.

It's same with anything really. Like in animation you should start with a bouncing ball. But you don't want to do that because it isn't exciting and you think you can jump straight to something complex. So you do that but despite all the work your complex animation don't look right. And it's all because you didn't learn what it takes to make a bouncing ball look right.

When you go back and take the time to patiently do the ball, you realize just how complex it is to make even something simple look really convincing.

So do enough general beginner tutorials until you are able to start imagining how you could put a football game together your own.

Joe-Censored and JoNax97 like this.
  6. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

Looks like this guy did his research.

Just beware of the copy and paste routine. Its better to learn what the words in the code mean and how they work.

7. JoNax97

JoNax97

If you check, it has copied my post verbatim. An I say 'it' because it's a spam bot trying to get some reputation so it won't be so easily deleted.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  8. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

I guess my sarcasm was to subtle. Your post was the research I was referring to.

angrypenguin likes this.
  9. JoNax97

JoNax97

Oops :p

Edit: I like how OP kinda vanished

FrankenCreations likes this.
  10. Shadow_Scoundrel

Shadow_Scoundrel

Nah, still here fam. Just distracted by other stuff outside of unity.

JoNax97 likes this.
  11. Meltdown

Meltdown

By far and away the toughest mountain you'd have to climb here would be the AI, and then how all the physics/collisions would work.

Two monumental tasks that took even a massive studio like EA many, many years to make something 'decent', and they still haven't perfected it after all these years with the best in the business in their development teams and unlimited budgets...

My advice.. make something simpler. Or if you really want to make an American Football game, do something simplified, like 3 a side or something. Even then the AI will be a huge challenge.

12. Shadow_Scoundrel

Shadow_Scoundrel

For Now, I'm starting with the "Simulation" Variants:
    - Ai "Plays" it and just gives you the end game results
    - You Pick the plays and the game plays out (no 3d) A Text Based RPG to some extent (thunk)

Going with a New Mode that I can use as the base for it. "Gauntlet"

Point of the mode: It's basically a Sports Game's Version of a Survival Mode.
    - First to Score wins.
    - You're always with first possession each Match.
    - After every Match, you get $$$ witch you can use to Get Free Agents. (All Randomly Generated)
    - After 10 Matches, The Teams (witch are also randomly generated) Have Higher Overalls making them more difficult. (ending in a 100 Overall Team). After Beating the 100 Overall Team, Everything Resets back to 0, including your team. But now you have something to buff you to start out. It goes on Endlessly.

Once I figure out 3d gameplay, give the options of:
    - "Simulation" [Reference: Backbreaker... but without the god awful camera + You know... actual Simulation]
    - "Simple Simulation" [Reference: Basically Madden 2005-07 style]
    - "Arcade" [Reference: NFL Street]
    as well as an option to play 7v7 and 11v11 (maybe make it a slider? [oh god a 30v30 game] but for now 7v7 + 11v11)

I do have the team names for "Franchise Mode" but for now, Gauntlet.
    I guess I could post updates here or through my discord server. idk :|

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  13. Shadow_Scoundrel

Shadow_Scoundrel

Up to you guys on that.

*Edit: I'll just drop this here while I try to figure this whole thing out oof: https://discord.gg/JrwCHYq

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  14. Shadow_Scoundrel

Shadow_Scoundrel

*Last update I'll post here on the forms*
    Went in and set up the menu for team select for Quick Matches.
    -Capsules will be replaced with Team Captains. (I think for Ai, it'll just be who is the Highest Overall Player on the team, while Custom Teams/Teams from a Players Franchise Mode can be set manually.
    -White Squares will have the Team's Logo
    -Import a team:
    = Teams you save from Franchise, Teams from Different Rosters/Years, someone's community team, etc (Say you want to do a Season where each teams best season were to all play, whitch team would come out on top!?

Anyways, hope to see yall in the server!