Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there anyone here studying at Full Sail University?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTHell, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

47% seems surprisingly high. And at odds with my googling. At that rate you are going to start having a significant shortage of tradespeople and labourers.

In Australia we are at 29% with degrees, and 60% with some posts high school qualification. At those rates a skilled fitter makes more then a chemical engineer.

2. goat

goat

No, an immigrant of 3 generations ago most likely didn't take away anyone's job. And depending on what they endeavored to do in the new country they may have created many more jobs that long ago. That's the difference in a world rural based population that was still industrializing in 1900 of 1.2 billion estimated and a big reason there are now about 7.2 billion in a world urban environment of 2016 (it's 54% urban now and that percentage is growing). Many jobs were created with medical, industrial, and agricultural science advancements. Even today, when there are labor shortages in specialized fields, businesses and governments often pay to import those specialized workers often to the detriment of the imported worker rather than actually remedying the cause of the shortage.Things change and the world changes.

What you state about colleges and universities is people making assumptions about what a college is based on the size of usually private colleges which are usually small and offer liberal arts degrees or college prep work for a college at a university. Community colleges are usually colleges within a university system. One never studies at the College of Texas in the university of medicine. Nowadays people use the term college and university in US interchangeably but technically colleges are schools of study within an organizing university.

You can earn associate's degrees at independent colleges or at colleges that are part of university systems, it's only a matter of the course work meeting the requirements of accreditation institutions.

All that is splitting hairs though.

But back to being on topic if the OP wants to study at a university system then a satellite community college of that university system is usually the cheapest way to do that in the USA. Really think twice before taking student loans, the number of high school classmates or university classmates I had that when to university is a pretty high percentage and flunking out or quitting does not erase those student loans.

3. tswalk

tswalk

to bad higher education isn't free, then we could call it a 'right' to have one ;)

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Here we do. ;)

5. QFSW

QFSW

Now that I understand what american student loans are like, I personally wouldn't reccomend doing this. In the end of the day though its your choice

JamesArndt likes this.
  6. neginfinity

neginfinity

Billy4184 and Ryiah like this.
  7. goat

goat

8. Teila

Teila

Don't know about that. Go back in time and ask some Irish people in NYC if people were afraid they were taking their jobs. ;)

zombiegorilla and Kiwasi like this.
  9. Billy4184

Billy4184

Not to mention (in Brazil at least) extremely cheap food (cheap relative to the cost of living) in a dedicated cafeteria, and parties that seem to run night and day (somehow this is reconciled with the fact that the university courses are quite difficult by all accounts).

10. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

It's an interesting dichotomy. Historically people have always been afraid of immigrants taking jobs. However most economists point out that immigrants tend to be inovators and entrepreneurs. As well as customers for existing businesses. The net result of imigration is normally more jobs.

JamesArndt and Teila like this.
  11. Teila

Teila

I absolutely agree! :)

12. goat

goat

I'm pretty good at history, better than average and most political candidates too unfortunately, and know all about 'No Irish Need Apply' and lots of others things that I won't laundry list here but generally speaking our ancestors did not choose to come to USA and certainly most of them didn't live lifes of liesure just going back 50 years not that 10 hour work days and 2 hours commutes should be considered liesure time in modern times. Truth be told, if they can avoid government housing projects and similar upsetting crime ridden areas, unemployment is the biggest favour many people could have the misfortune to enjoy in their adult lives in modern times. I haven't been selectively educated by the political system or reading newspapers but by reading history books and National Geographics as a child and life experience is helpful too.

I'm not going to be made to feel guilty for anything I could not have done, I wasn't here 3 generations ago, or assume that because technology has made me comfortable today, even if by the USA government's own definition of poverty I'm near the bottom of their poverty line, that my ancestors enjoyed those comforts that I have or blame them for things I know they were forced to do.Furthermore, that nearly 100% of them are not guilty of the things they are routinely accused of by the people of today's world who obviously are regurgitating news feeds in ignorance of fact or even any true interest in fact. They simply want what they think is an easy advantage over others based on what they think is the truth based on visual looks and surnames rather than the not so easy truth, because that's a lot of work and ultimate puts us on equal footing in the world that we we live in today because invariable those people and their ancestors are innocent of all charges 99.9999% of the time. One of my parents didn't have electricty or plumbing and sustentance farmed and gathered food from the woods to eat and drink as a child in Appalachia. Job? That wasn't a job. That was life.

The Switzerland your 3rd generation ancestors fled from was a land of paupers that entire villages would save what little they could to help a lucky person leave Switzerland. Those people couldn't even claim a small plot of land as their own to sustence farm or gather any food in the wild. They had nothing. Nothing but the clothing on their back and the value of their work to their lords. In the time your 3rd generation ancestors were coming to America the poor people of Europe still routinely sold their children to rich families as servants to rich families to ensure those children didn't starve.

The sustenance farmers and labourers of the industrial revolution did not live the lives of leisure that people assume or falsely claimed to have lived by folk with political motives in todays world. They didn't visit Wal*Mart or even a grocery store or such niceties the disadvantaged complain about today.

At any rate, there are no more borders to draw and no more unchartered and unmapped and ungoverned lands. There are quite clearly written laws in every jurisdiction for every living person. Often even for humane treatment of voiceless and vote-less animals in more and more cases even though it is Humane Society and the buying public that are circumventing the crass corruption of the USA political elite by pressuring big business with public education of farm animal mistreatment and public boycotts. Luckily most times leaders of businesses just have to be told of these abuses and it's enough for them to switch suppliers or threaten to cancel contracts if those industrial automated farming businesses don't treat their animals humanely. However, Humane Society has failed repeatedly to persuade the US government politicians and those leaders of the USDA to change their corrupt system of political patronage for favorable USDA regulations so what happens is many and most of these animal farms are governed by barbaric automated systems of abuse that is called scientific but in fact is nothing more than ritualized abuse. Try to visit the chicken farms of Iowa and Arkansas some day. Those places make use of this secret illegal labor force. Those chicken farms need run out of business.

It's ludicrous the government subsidizes illegal immigrants with welfare because they are not and cannot be paid a legal wage in the USA. So do these chicken farms even pay a living wage to the illegal immigrants? Of course not, otherwise they wouldn't have had interest in hiring them to begin with. So chickens suffer, illegal immigrants suffer, people eating tainted chicken suffer and not only does the USA government subsidize at a loss these illegal immigrants with welfare and other benefits but also with a higher probability than usual the legal workers and the legal eaters of this chicken get sick, often very sick and those medical treatments are subsidized by the US government. So what is left to subsidize in this equation: the chicken farms themselves and the chicken farm businesses are indeed heavily subsidized directly by the US government otherwise fair labor costs and humane treatment of workers and animals would drive them out of business yesterday. Meanwhile to buy 5 ounces of fake chicken meat made with a dirt cheap crop like pea flour costs $5 because is is fashionable even though production is almost 100% automated and no animals or people mistreated and meanwhile 5lbs of brutalized chicken made by mistreated workers costs $2.

Illegal immigrant laborers and child laborers of today are the equivalent of child laborers of Victorian England and other times past and present. Voiceless and voteless and secreted behind closed doors by the political elite seeking to hide their involvement in enabling this abuse of people and animals. I am not supporting that and others that know won't support such government and chicken and animal farm business corruption: Replace your lawn with a type of plants and plans so that you must not mow grass or at least can avoid mowing grass as much of local ordinances permit so you can avoid tormenting lawn critters. Avoid hurting yourself, other people and animals and so don't speed, drive slower at night and at dawn and at dusk. Eat less meat, buy from small farms that conciously treat their animals humanely and likewise figure out the way to slaughter them as quickly, humanely, and unknowlingly by the animal and it's animal neighbors as possible and avoid those meats that are from automated slaughterhouses of confined conscious cruelty. Become vegetarian, beans, tofu, soy isolate, & vital whuten gluten taste better and make for fewer health problems than meat.

People really need to read about the entire truth of those historical times and these modern times if they are going to continue to have their chains yanked by political activists looking for advantage over the ignorant and busy with life. The villages were full of people busting their tails to keep both themselves and families fed and pay a tiny minority of landlords for use of land and board. That wasn't a job, that was life. The only people paid then were city dwellers of good apprenticeship training which in that time there were a very few percentagewise too. This ideal that our ancestors were these spoiled wealthy aristocrats subsidizing Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart prodigies with their landholdings, businesses, and jobs is a bit over the top.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

That's not necessarily true. Its 53% with no college degree. Some people go to school and don't graduate.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  14. Teila

Teila

Not sure where that came from...mine were cheese makers who came to Wisconsin. :)

Or join the military. Lots of young people do that although many of them do then go to college later.

15. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Mine were diverse... Czech on my Mom's side and not sure what their history is... my Dad's is mostly English and Scottish, going back to Robert de Bruce (wait... am I an heir to something cool?). But that's ancient history... forward to the days they emigrated to American and from that point both families were farming families (and some military - my great, great grandfather on my Mom's side was a cook and we still have his recipe book). In fact I grew up on a farm... a small one. We raised ate largely out of our own garden and we raised our own Beef (and no we didn't mistreat them mister @goat... in fact they were primarily pets until it came time to humanely slaughter and eat, and we didn't waste much).

I also think everyone has to be careful generalizing because demographics are wildly different. As an example, here in Nebraska the state is almost entirely rural with a few exceptions. We also don't see much racism here, and not nearly as much corporate influence so you can't just make generalizations and say "That's America!"... it's not applicable everywhere. In fact it's mostly applicable on the east and west coasts.

Teila likes this.
  16. Teila

Teila

As the parent of an adopted multi-racial child, I see racism everywhere. Some places are better, but it is there. I have not been to Nebraska so can't speak for that, but rural areas are the worst...and I also grew up in the rural midwest.

Before we adopted our child, I would have said what you are saying.

Regardless, this has nothing to so with college. :) Just felt the need to say that from someone who has a different perspective.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  17. Ryiah

Ryiah

Teila likes this.
  18. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Go back far enough, and the Irish were taking away jobs from African-American slaves. ;) My paternal>maternal side of the family was (not)Irish and came over as cheap labor to build railroads. Irish/Chinese labor was cheaper than slaves.

Kiwasi, Teila and Ryiah like this.
  19. computertech

computertech

I think Full Sail teaches enough of general stuff to make a game only. But not enough specific areas to get a job more easier. Beside, I think USA school cost too much. If you are international student I do not think usa game school will worth the money unless you are going to https://www.gnomon.edu/ for computer graphics, or cheap awesome online http://www.animationmentor.com/ for animating. I am planning to go to a similar school that teaches only making a game, but my one is a lot cheaper than usa schools and my school focus more on programming specific area to help me find a job more easily than a generalist developer. I suggest maybe try going to usa computer science university to do game programming if you live in usa or self taught yourself or animation college to do game art and animation that is a cheaper school.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    JamesArndt likes this.
  20. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

21. Ryiah

Ryiah

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest but even if it wasn't I'd expect most people would work at least two jobs.