Search Unity

Question is there any way to optimize unity editor

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Saillot, Jan 21, 2023.

1. Saillot

Saillot

is there any way to optimize unity editor, clean editor memory and other ways to clean unity editor

Is it really necessary all these instances of the image?

__________2.PNG

2. spiney199

spiney199

The task manager is just listing all the processes/threads Unity is running, of which is completely normal for a program in this day and age.

If you look at the process for Visual Studio you'll see just as many threads. Same with other programs.

I wouldn't say 8GB for heavyweight professional software is out of the ordinary either. It really depends on what you're doing and how big your project is.

Ryiah likes this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity uses multiple instances of its shader compiler to rapidly compile shader variants, and while in theory you could run only one instance the result would be a very slow shader compile build stage. We're not talking a small increase. We're talking many times. Your system is running nine copies so that's potentially nine times longer.

If anything it's very light for professional software. Worst case that I'm familiar with is video editing which can easily consume hundreds of gigabytes. For games the largest project I've worked on was 30GB (fighting game made with HDRP) and my memory usage was consistently 80% of 32GB. Because of that I'm now on 64GB.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    spiney199 likes this.
  4. DevDunk

DevDunk

Check the profiler

spiney199 likes this.
  5. chemicalcrux

chemicalcrux

You could configure Unity to only use a few threads, certainly. You would then be upset to discover that it takes much, much longer to perform certain tasks (like shader compilation!) :)

arkano22 likes this.