Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there any way to make a "template" of an animator?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Nanako, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Nanako

Nanako

hi all. I'd like to make a lot of humanoid characters who all have the same animation states (walking, running, sneaking, jumping, crouching, etc), but most of them will have unique animations.

So i'm wondering if there's any way to create a template of an animator, ie the states, transitions, blend trees, etc. But change the animations within them for each instance.

I know i could just duplicate one animator and change animations, but then if i added more states later i'd need to manually copy that to all of them, which would kind of defeat the purpose.

Any thoughts?

2. medhue

medhue

I think what might be useful, is if the Animation Controllers simply just referenced the names of the animations. So, if you labeled all your animations for every character the same, the Animation Controller wouldn't need any set up, other than attaching it to a character. Just my thoughts.

Nanako and theANMATOR2b like this.
  3. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

Look at AnimatorOverrideController
    http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/AnimatorOverrideController.html

They only draw back is that it override state motion and not state, so you have to populate each state with at least one clip to complete override all motion.

So create one full controller with all your motion and then use it and define as many override controller you need.

Nanako likes this.
  4. Nanako

Nanako

thank you mecanim dev. I knew i could count on using the system properly to work. I shall probably use that.