Search Unity

Feature Request Is there any way to integrate 'Virtual Desktop' into a Unity Project?

Discussion in 'VR' started by Xander-Davis, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

I'm building a VR world prototype in Unity where there's a desk to sit at and it would be awesome if I could be there while also having Virtual Desktop up to actually do productive work while in this custom environment.

Is there any way to integrate 'Virtual Desktop' into a Unity Project to do this?

https://www.vrdesktop.net

Was surprised to find Virtual Desktop works on both Windows and Mac and seemed super easy to set up with a very reliable all-wireless connection with my MacBook Pro and Oculus Quest 2.

Really, Oculus should make Virtual Desktop part of the Quest OS so it could be opened in any other app simultaneously. Short of that, perhaps there's a solution in Unity directly.

JoeStrout likes this.
  2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I get why you want this. It'd be very cool! But I can't see any way to do this — Virtual Desktop is its own program, running its own software on both ends and speaking (as far as I know) its own protocol (though it's possible that it's built on top of some standard). I don't see how you could embed that in your own Unity app.

3. BenniKo

BenniKo

JoeStrout likes this.
  4. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

Yeah exactly— an API to just get a streamed image onto a texture from a third party service. Virtual Desktop should consider releasing some dev tools for this.