Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there any way to ignore the file extension after you drag entire folder instead of a file

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by VictorQianUnity, Aug 27, 2019.

1. VictorQianUnity

VictorQianUnity

Edits:
    "I know you can change the address string, when you drag an asset into the addressable.
    But when i drag a whole folder of assets into the addressable, the address under the folder are gray out with file extension."

Some of my sprites use .PSD some are PNG, i know it not a good practice, but still can i ignore the file extension when using addressable? so i don't have to write stuff like path + ".PSD"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  2. danilonishimura

danilonishimura

You can set the addressable name to whatever you like, just be sure that there aren't duplicate keys (names).

VictorQianUnity likes this.
  3. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Plus, to make this a little more automated, you can use @Favo-Yang's Addressables Importer. You can generate the names for the bundles using RegEx, so you could easily strip the extension.

4. VictorQianUnity

VictorQianUnity

Sorry i didn't state my question clearly, what i really mean is can you rename the address when you drag a folder into the addressable window, for me all the assets below the folder are grayout, i can only change the root path name

Attached Files:

danilonishimura likes this.
  5. nik_d

nik_d

You can have duplicate addresses. I have a lot of them applying label rules to find exact required resource location.
    same-address-names.png

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  6. nik_d

nik_d

7. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Personally, I’d recommend not dragging folders in at the moment. The workflow for that is too primitive, you get very little control over anything. I’d recommend using that importer I linked to or writing your own. Maybe in future this will change but right now having addressable folders where you actually care about the contents, rather than them being explicit dependencies, mainly has disadvantages and very few advantages.

8. danilonishimura

danilonishimura

Didn't know that. Thanks for the info!