Search Unity

Is there any way to hide property of component in inspector of `Entity Debugger`?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by quabug, Feb 22, 2020.

1. quabug

quabug

I've created a component like:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     public class InputActionAssetComponent : IComponentData
    2.     {
    3.         public InputActionAsset Value;
    4.     }
    But it will crash the editor if I select an entity with this component, I guess the problem is some loop dependency in `InputActionAsset`? So I wondering if there's any way to hide this from debug view, as `HideInInspector` for regular inspector.

2. tertle

tertle

Could try the good old, make it a property

3. quabug

quabug

Ha, nice and easy. Thank you!
    The only drawback is now I have to write a proxy `MonoBehavior` instead of generated one by `GenerateAuthoringComponent`.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Try to mark the field as internal.

5. quabug

quabug

Not working properly with `GenerateAuthoringComponent`, since non-public field not able to expose in inspector by `SerializeFieldAttribute`... But public field could be hide by `HideInInspectorAttribute`, hmmm.

6. martinpa_unity

martinpa_unity

Unity Technologies

The entity inspector needs to be displayed in a custom way, since the entity or any of its components are not attached to a particular UnityEngine.Object. What is currently used to draw the inspector doesn't look at the attributes at all.

We expect to start working on a new inspector for entities very soon. We'll switch the backend from IMGUI to UIElements and we'll pack in a few more features in it, such as:
    • Support for built-in attributes (HideInInspector, InspectorName, etc.)
    • Support for custom inspectors and property drawers
    It's very inconvenient to have to opt-out of `GenerateAuthoringComponent` to simply hide a field. We'll make sure this is supported out of the box.

7. Mockarutan

Mockarutan

Any update on this? In an earlier version of Entity Debugger I used "System.NonSerialized" to hide them from the inspector, but not from the Entity Debugger. With the latest entities 0.13.0-preview.24 and dots.editor 0.11.0-preview.3, non of those seem to work to hide only in the inspector.

Edit: martinpa_unity

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  8. martinpa_unity

martinpa_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @Mockarutan

What do you mean by this? Are you trying to hide fields for a component of an entity?

If that is the case, on the latest com.unity.dots.editor, you should be able to use
    [HideInInspector]
    on the fields you want hidden in the entity inspector.

starikcetin likes this.
  9. Mockarutan

Mockarutan

Never mind, it worked exactly as I wanted, and as you described before. Did something wrong earlier. Thanks for the response!