Search Unity

Is there any way to do wipes, dissolves and mattes using cinemachine?

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Sun-Dog, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Sun-Dog

Sun-Dog

I've been googling up a storm on this.

I seem to have discovered how to do fade to white/black either using a weighted PP Stack or storyboard camera, but as part of virtual filmmaking; crossfades, wipes and mattes are part of the expected toolkit.

The only reference I've found so far is the statement that "A Cinemachine blend is not a fade, wipe or dissolve". I get that. They are moves or cuts, depending on the definition of the blend.

But are there solutions to fades, wipes or dissolves? Are there alternatives or workarounds?

Or does this require shot-rendering, export and traditional editing/processing?

This seem to defeat the concept of doing it all in Unity, no?

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Cinemachine is a camera positioning system, not a mixing system. You can certainly do mixing-type stuff, like dissolves, wipes, and fades with Unity, but Cinemachine itself does not provide explicit features for that.

Generally, mixing at the image level (which is what you're talking about) involves having 2 cameras rendering simultaneously, and doing some kind of bitmap-based mixing of the 2 images. This can certainly be set up in Unity, and you can create custom shaders to do the blending.

That said, there are a couple of hacks you can do with Cinemachine in order to get dissolves and fades without any coding or additional extensions.
    Have a look here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/is-...ages-instead-of-position.541865/#post-3573211
    and here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/fadein-fadeout-using-cinemachine.527164/#post-3465043

3. Sun-Dog

Sun-Dog

Thanks! I’d seen the fade in-fade out thread, as it successfully googled, but the interpolate images thread I had not seen, and is good food for thought.

I am aware that cinemachine is a camera positioning package, but the hype around Unity for Film screams “Use timeline and cinemachine to make movies!”, so I was hoping that there was some solution to dissolves, fades, mattes and wipes in-engine. The fall back is always render and finish off-line in the traditional way. I’m aware that the reality is, well, reality! Not the Hype and Hyperbole of the promo-pages.

Thanks for the tips.

4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

It's more than hype and hyperbole. In fact there are many cinematic films made with Unity, and many more in the works. As I said, bitmap-based image effects are quite possible while remaining entirely in Unity. Check the asset store for packages that can help with this. I saw one there today that looked interesting, and will try it out soon to see how well it can be integrated with Cinemachine.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...-camera-effects/screen-transitions-pro-139348

5. Sun-Dog

Sun-Dog

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I'll look at that package and see how I can adapt it to two channels.

-

This may not be the correct place to talk about this, but: Speaking of Unity for Film, I'm struggling to find a good pipeline for episodic material.

There is no dedicated forum for Unity for Film. I'm searching the documentation, forums and what Unity has published; and yes, the high level (what I said seems like hype and hyperbole) is very attractive and engaging. However, the down and dirty detail on setting up a robust pipeline is missing. With information on items like timeline and cinemachine being so disparate and treated as separate technologies, the information is not well integrated; couple that with the emphasis on Unity for gaming and the lack of a dedicated forum for filmmaking, I'm finding it difficult to piece together a good working model.

If I'm going to create a professional volume of material - say 13 episodes - of an animated product inside of a nominal schedule, I will need to show a clear savings of time and money over traditional methods. I will also need to show that the pipeline is solid and robust and won't easily break. A fragile platform is too risky to use.

So far, the demos I've seen look great, but they have a large number of people working for a long period of time to create a single piece of well crafted work. To produce those proverbial 13 episodes, this demo-model needs to move into a robust production-model; one that is conservatively finishing an episode every 3-4 weeks; if not quicker.

I've not given up, by any means, and I expect I'll find find a solution - but I have yet to feel confident that I can stand in front of that big glossy walnut table, present my budget and schedule to the head of the studio and know I can meet it with Unity.

dursteric likes this.
  6. gekidoslayer

gekidoslayer

Unity Technologies

Hey Sun-Dog - I sent you a PM, would love to discuss this with you in more detail.

7. neoshaman

neoshaman

I hope this discussion will evolve into a proper documentation of a good production workflow,I would be interested in that.

s82774872 and dursteric like this.