Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Is there any way to change lighting/lightmap resolution or fake a lower resolution?

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by KnoblePersona, Mar 14, 2021.

1. KnoblePersona

KnoblePersona

I'm trying to have sharply pixelated lighting for a surface and can't figure it out. I've been messing around with real time and baked lighting for this. Image.png
    In this image of a baked point light, I posterize the HSV as a post-processing effect to give the lighting this old aesthetic, however, if you notice, there's a clean ring effect with the light levels that surpass the image resolution. I want to make the lighting match the Base Map I have here before the posterize poster-processing effect.

So my question is, is it possible to change the resolution of a baked lightmap and real time lighting in Unity? Or do I have to make a custom shader to get this effect? And if so, is there any may to access lightmaps in shaders/Shader Graph, like maybe a reference similar to _MainTex? Or do I have to make my own lighting shader to get what I need?

2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, there aren't many ways you can manipulate the lightmapped output using shaders. You'd either have to bake your lightmaps in an external DCC tool, or modify the output textures in Photoshop (or similar).