Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Is there any way to bypass the float limit

Discussion in 'World Building' started by backthemac, Aug 28, 2023.

1. backthemac

backthemac

Hi, I'm Back just wondering if is there any way to bypass the float limit. Because I'm making a large open-world game that involves interstellar travel and possibly intergalactic. but the point is, that unity is not big enough for what I need. Is there any way to bypass it?

2. Since you had to ask the most fundamental thing on a forum, I see no way you could pull it off yourself. So my advice is this: buy some assets on the asset store (for starters you can try Gaia/Sectr and/or World Streamer) and build through those or use another engine where you get more help out of the box from the engine. Maybe you will need to make some compromises, but again, writing your own low-level support is a bit more complex. Buying, making them to work and study their procedures and code will teach you more about streaming assets than we can teach on the forums.

3. warthos3399

warthos3399

Lurking-Ninja is right, and the answer is No. You cant bypass it. You will need to use a chunk streaming asset like SECTR or World Streamer, and learn the system and its functions. Ive been developing or working on, large world environments for years now. Theres really no other way to address floating point precision. There are a few ways of actually moving the float point (with the controller), but its way beyond your user level to impliment.

Large open worlds are an issue, even for big game studios, so they all develop their own way of dealing with it. So, there are other commercial engines out there, that may be better suited for your game. You may want to look into posted options...