Search Unity

Is there any way to buy/use environment assets from big games like Firewatch?

Discussion in 'Asset Bundles' started by Ashh7, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Ashh7

Ashh7

Hiyah, basically curious if people like me could get their hands on assets as beautiful as Campo Santo's studio. For things like trees, rocks, water, skybox, etc etc.

Thanks for your time and have a wonderful day :)

2. Olmi

Olmi

Hi @Ashh7,

Here's a thought for starters - would a car manufacturer give access to the blueprints of a car engine they have developed and spent many millions in the process? Probably not. Would a game dev company that lives on making games make it's intellectual property's internal workings and content available and thus dilute it's value in many ways? Probably not. There are of course games that are open source and some games give more or less access to their content but my bet is that you can forget that idea and concentrate developing your own assets or get some nice pre-made things from the Asset Store, maybe? :)

3. Ashh7

Ashh7

Well, Tesla patents are open source and they ain't doing too bad.

I'm new here, and as a one man team with little to no artistic experience, and I was just hoping to get some advice on how people might approach this issue.

4. Olmi

Olmi

It does not help to compare things that are to things that aren't... Not really constructive and wishing usually doesn't make things change.

I think your best choice is to either start learning what makes that kind of artwork look like it does, then start working on developing a workflow to produce such art and assets. But do you think your game will be very original, if it looks like a clone of some popular game? I think it will not. Instead, it would be better to try develop something that has some originality.

Anyway, if you want to try learn how to do nice graphics, Youtube and web are full of good tutorials that help you with the basics and more advanced things.

And if you feel that you're not up to the graphics task, you probably have to team up with some artist(s). Although it's pretty tough road unless you have money to spare so that you can actually pay someone to do the work.

5. Ruslan_Mystwing

Ruslan_Mystwing

hi there! I'm reopening this question because there's a perfectly legitamate answer to this quesiton, you just phrased it wrong! Some of the assets in firewatch were actually bought off of various asset stores, i am unsure of the nature assets and i'm actually planning on using them for a free project of mine, so it's not like i'll be making money, but if i can license them it'd be pretty neat.

Here's the totem pole from arapahoe's scout camp: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/props/indian-tribal-totem-set-13273

and the plane/ water bomber from the last day of the game: https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/canadair-cl-415-max/695315

They're from various sources and finding them may be an issue, the best case would be to ask campo santo themselves, if you can find a way to contact them.

since the team was small, it may be possible that there were many more purchased assets, but i do not know for certain.