Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there any plans to have baked shadows cast on to real time objects? (No lightbrobes)

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Prodigga, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Prodigga

Prodigga

Hey there

We would like the disable all real time shadows in our mobile game, and have dynamic objects receive shadow from the baked lighting. Will there ever be some way to 'project' the baked shadow maps on to dynamic objects? The current method is to place lightprobes to 'fake' the shadows, and this is not what I am referring to.

2. Sluggy

Sluggy

By definition that is a real-time shadow. Technically I suppose what you're thinking of might be considered a stencil shadow. If you were to pre-calculate your light sources you could extrude the geometry ahead of time and render the shadow volume in real-time. However, I imagine it would be difficult to get it to work in the general case.

Have you looked at the asset store? There are several shader available on it, though I can't attest to the quality of any of them. This one is free you all you have to loose is a little time investigating.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/35558

Stardog likes this.