Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there any plan for lightweight terrains

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by Hostur, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Hostur

Hostur

Hi,
    You "touched" terrains in this beta so it is the best moment for ask.
    Terrains are very heavy, if I want to create more terrains there is no way to handle it because of ram consumption. Each pure terrain instance takes a huge amount of ram in inspector and build. I know that world streamer and probably more assets on asset store can transform terrain into the pure mesh.
    Could you consider to make it possible in Unity? Designer could create a peace of terrain and transform it into the lightweight mesh but also it should be possible to transform it back if any changes are required.

Mesh can be easily baked with nav mesh and packed into a prefab/asset in bundle.
    For now working with more terrains are not possible :(
    Regards
    Filip

2. Hostur

Hostur

refresh

3. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

I guess you're targeting mobile ate least on 2018.2 terrains run fine on dekstop and almost fine on console too.
    What unity should consider putting a bunch on effor may be could be making the GPU instancing WORK out of the box and do it in a excell way so may be terrains could be meshed and detail packed into GPU instanceable entities for lower end devices or to gain performance

4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

We have a blog post with details about the Terrain System improvements coming soon. I also expect that there will be additional information made available during Unite LA in a month.

Claytonious, JesOb, chanfort and 4 others like this.
  5. Claytonious

Claytonious

Exciting! If it has already happened, please post a link (I'm not seeing anything at blogs.unity3d.com).

6. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

It will be 2 more weeks until it comes out, I believe.

optimise and Claytonious like this.