Search Unity

Is there any network mode/framework/idea for this?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by MrMelSE, Aug 18, 2019.

1. MrMelSE

MrMelSE

Hello,

I'm developing a shooting simulator using Unity.
    It's working nicely as a "single player", it's VERY exact so physics engine rely on millisecond updates using external cameras tracking gun etc.

Now I wish to make it possible shoot "together" as you on the range normally.

It's not really a multi player, it's a "single player - where I can view the other players while they shoot"
    So sequence would be;
    I shoot my sequence where all other could see me shooting.
    Next shooter shoots he's sequence, where I and others can watch.

Simplest would be if I could "Connect to other clients camera"
    I do not really have to see the player, actually I do not want to see the "players" at all.. only want to view the targets and how he hits.

I currently store all vectors per millisecond for playback and analyzing the shot, however, sending all that data to other players would be fairly network intensive, talking 200kb just in vectors for targets and shots, per sequence.

Having a server which have all physics would be impossible, the client who is currently shooting must be the master, for that sequence.

I have never done a multiplayer game of any sort before, not sure where to start, even to know if I even CAN use the multiplayer support, or if it would be better to do it some other way.

If you do not understand how shooting and it's sequence work, you could think about it like 4 friends playing golf together, they play themself, not really having any interaction on the golf course, but while my friend hit's the ball, I watch, and wait for my turn. We are on the same course, but that's about it.

Any tips, pointers or something to read would be really appreciated

2. g_a_p

g_a_p

I guess showing the bullet hole when the other players are shooting is not enough... (otherwise you could just send the hole coordinates on the target).
    In such case, why not sending the exact initial conditions of the simulation? Bullet angle and velocity, wind angle and velocity, etc. The client receiving the data could then run the same simulation.