Search Unity

Is there any good tutorial for rpg game?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by dullman, Jan 25, 2015.

1. dullman

dullman

Welcome i want to ask if there is some good tutorial for making rpg game (The most popular seems to be Hack & Slash game but it's kinda old and i wanted to use for gui newest techniques in unity), what i search is something with customization of characters, multiple equipment types, elements of simulation, multiple npc groups, AI for npcs etc. Basically i search for advanced rpg tutorial, what i want to develop is game between sims and neverwinter nights with elements of strategy, so i would also want to know management of multiple characters, optimization for it. Every little tutorial that i might not know will help me greatly (especially if it's written tutorial).

ps. What i want is to get familiar with unity not to learn programming or game development.

2. Phycic

Phycic

So you want a tutorial on how to make RPG games but you don't want to learn game development?
    That seems like you want something that you don't want, so might want to clarify a bit better...

Kiwasi likes this.
  3. dullman

dullman

I might no say into right way, I don't want to have tutorials which focuses on why we need player and why actors class doesn't provide enough for player. Or what does AI for enemies. On other hand i will openly learn how to use 3d graphics, basic of 3d and usage of unity (but mostly from code side e.g. currently i'd have a problem with changing texture dynamically - in customization screen and i would love to see tutorials which shows something like that)

4. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Have you been through our "Learn" section?
    http://unity3d.com/learn

We don't have an RPG tutorial, per se, yet. But we do have a lot of resources that can help you on most, if not all, of these topics.

There are some pre-built frameworks on the Asset Store if you are looking more for "modding" a complete project with your own assets, or assets from the store. I don't have one I can recommend over the others, but if that's what you want, you can have a go.

Lastly, the community can be very helpful in helping you on a task by task basis.

If you are having trouble "changing texture dynamically" or whatever - you can start a thread where you show what you've done so far and ask for help with that one task.

Then, bit by bit, put together your game.

-

PS: Don't forget your scope!

Here's my benchmark:

WoW has over 2000 icons.
    If you can make 1 icon per hour on average...
    ... working a 10 hour day with no breaks for food, coffee, smokes or toilets...
    ... it will take you 200 days to accomplish!

This is roughly 1 man year in working week days doing a punishing 10 hour / day schedule.

PPS: Don't forget your scope!

Headworker and Manny Calavera like this.
  5. dullman

dullman

Thanks for links but in learn section i'm yet to see any good material with intresting me subjects, i might says your tutorials first lacks from depth in explanation, second lacks from code wise. I would much prefer to have tutorial made in written form since it much easier to learn something useful from them. And i know you have your scripting manual, but i today found that there are methods which isn't even mentioned in manual, and it by 4 day i started my adventure with unity, what does this method remains not so much mystery since it name means something but still i want to know why it takes int argument and what it is means(id or it's an index?).

As for community i posted two threads already in scripting section, but i still don't get any answers (meaningful, most replies was mine with more observation, information or how to work around problem but still the question is why everytime i access materials array in renderer every material becomes null (by access i mean even something simple like getting it's length). I have a hope that in future community will be more helpful then for those to question.

6. LaneFox

LaneFox

You are interested in those tutorials more than you think.

Feel free to explore and jump ahead... But after you fail to get anything done you'll be back to watching those tutorials because you'll see that they're more valuable than you thought (or you'll give up - more likely). Its your choice to stumble around in the dark thinking you know whats best but don't say we didn't try to tell you so.

Kiwasi likes this.
  7. StarGamess

StarGamess

if only the learn section existed when i started to learn how to use unity xD that would have made my life so much easier great choice to make this section. This just show that you guys know what you are doing.

So you want to make games without programming thats impossible... As far as i know the best tutorial series for RPGs would be Burgzergs Arcade. But this is mostly coding. Oh and if you are really new to unity don't bother trying to make a full scale RPG make something simple like a platformer with 1 level and a running character that can only move and jump. Or something very small and simple like that.

8. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Really? I'm sorry to hear you feel that way. Let us know what you'd like to see. The more detail the better.

Just so I'm clear, our goal is to make learning material available that covers that largest number of the users that need it most. We are also more likely to create material that is more generic and more conceptual, so the individual developers can adapt these ideas to their own game, rather than make templates for game types.

It is true that we have been concentrating on live and recorded sessions, as these are the more requested type of learning material. We are aware of the fact that we don't produce much written material... but we don't often get a request for these. "Noted!"

If you find methods that are not in the documentation, please file a bug report. You can find the bug reporter in the far right of the Unity menu under "Help".

There is the chance that this is an "undocumented" or "depreciated" function. It is possible to find these on occasion when using code completion. Often these are in the process of being fully removed from Unity, and it's best to not use undocumented functions.

That being said, if you do find something undocumented and you are unclear whether this is intentional or not, report it.

Can you PM me the URLs to these threads? I'll have a look. It's hard to say why some people don't answer some questions. Some times it's the clarity of the question, or (and I'm not saying this is true in your case, but... ) when the answer is easy to find in the documentation, or the post reads like the OP is fishing to get someone to write their code for them.

Just be clear with your questions and keep trying.

Don't forget the community has an irc channel. You can read more about this on the community page.

Headworker likes this.
  9. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

10. Samuel411

Samuel411

You most likely aren't going to find a tutorial that covers everything you want your game to have. Your going to find tutorials that contain bits and pieces of what you need and tutorials that help you understand programming but it is your job to move forward from there and combine everything you know.

If you take a look at the link Adam posted above you can see that in the video they say to start with a small scope. ex: Pong. Making small games like that help you get the knowledge to put code together with the art and audio to make a game.

Best wishes

StarGamess likes this.