Search Unity

Is there ANY bloom effect that works with Single Pass Stereo on mobile (Gear VR) on Unity 2017.3???

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by DHARMAKAYA, Mar 5, 2018.

1. DHARMAKAYA

DHARMAKAYA

Hi,

Been trying MANY different solutions for MANY days now...neither the cinematic image effects NOR the post processing stack 2 on github work with single pass stereo on android in Unity 2017.3...and neither does anything I found freely available on the asset store.

Is there ANY way to get a nice bloom effect working on 2017.3 with single pass stereo??? Honestly would rather switch to Vive platform or Odyssey MR instead of hassling with optimizing so much beta BS on Gear VR.

Thanks in advance for a solution that FUNCTIONS PROPERLY NOW. (AKA: Not in 2 or 3 months after 20 teams get together and compare notes to see that things have seemed mildly disorganized and less cohesively functional since Unity switched to annual version numbers, for some reason)

2. haskins

haskins

I'm actually trying to figure out the same thing right now!. Gear VR + bloom.. everything i've tried has failed so far.. here's a quick list

- FastMobileBloom - the entire screen turns white on play in the headset
    - unity post processing stack - can't get it to build for Android .
    - FxPro - screen splits and mirrors in the editor., weird white block and freezes in a build.
    - unity post processing stack v2 (github) - looks fine in the editor, left eye is all white on build.

,,,, hrm.

3. haskins

haskins

Oh! so I've got the Unity post processing stack v2 bloom working on Gear VR build... I had to switch from single pass to multi pass rendering on XR settings.

4. DHARMAKAYA

DHARMAKAYA

Sadly multipass is practically worthless on mobile. Need a SINGLE PASS STEREO solution.

Understand that multipass is rendering twice?

5. DHARMAKAYA

DHARMAKAYA

A company that makes a popular post effects asset said that Unity quality assurance said that the Unity team knows there is a problem and is trying to make a solution to make SINGLE PASS STEREO work with post fx. Some person said it was working properly on 2017.1

6. haskins

haskins

Hmm.. ya i get it that multi pass is not ideal, yet it's the only thing working at the moment for me... I've not found an example of a post effect working properly on Gear VR with single pass enabled for unity 2017.3. If anyone knows of a working example, please post, even if it's not for bloom specifically.

7. DHARMAKAYA

DHARMAKAYA

Try 2017.1. According to a post I read, supposedly the post processing stack worked in that.

8. haskins

haskins

Long story short, it didn't work.

2017.1 - gives the message - "unity 2017.2+ required for full Single-pass stereo rendering support.." pretty much, it seems to imply it switches back to mutli pass to make it work for 2017.1.. no gains here.

2017.2. - seems like the same result as 2017.3 - the build with any processing enabled ends up with the left eye completely white, while the right eye 'works' but without any post processing effects.

The post process v2 devs are aware of the issue
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/PostProcessing/issues/497

9. DHARMAKAYA

DHARMAKAYA

My name on github is 01GOD.

10. LouisVanDerMerwe

LouisVanDerMerwe

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  11. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi there, I'm still on this. Post Processing stack 2 in single pass Bloom works fine in editor but looks extra-pixellated in VR (Rift Touch). As I increase the diffuse radius it looks like it downscales the bloom map accordingly.

Have you found another VR-Single Pass Bloom solution in the meanwhile? I own tons of asset yet I'm basically stuck in what I thought it was one of the simplest effects to pull off...

I'm testing Amplify Bloom in the meanwhile, fingers crossed (Unity 2018.2.0f2)

JoeStrout likes this.
  12. franadoriv

franadoriv

It works?

13. frankadoriv

frankadoriv

Well, doesnt work.

Unity 2018.2.3f1
    Single Pass
    Oculus Go

The both eyes shows black and white flickering squares

14. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Nope, even after the small fix of Unity Bloom shader, it looks badly downsampled.

I'm temporarily using Amplify Occlusion, Processing Stack 2 (tone mapping, eye adaptation) and Beautify (Bloom/Sharpen).
    I gave Prism a go, that's even faster, but reported several issues as well (have a look at the appropriate thread), as Prism is not really VR (single pass) oriented (yet), and occlusion, well, currently leaves much to be desired :/

15. JDMulti

JDMulti

16. vishal

vishal

@DHARMAKAYA: Yes it is working properly i tested on 2017.1 and 2018.2 it is working on both unity3d versions with single pass stereo rendering method.

17. Damo9000

Damo9000

Which particular bloom effect is working?