Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

TextMesh Pro Is there an overhead for preloaded characters in Dynamic TMP fonts?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by eran6reyes, Jan 9, 2024.

1. eran6reyes

eran6reyes

Hello.

I'm currently learning how to use TMP.

I recently saw a video where someone recommended to use a Static TMP font asset with a known character set composed of the characters that the game would normally use, and a dynamic TMP font as fallback to handle other characters that could appear because of user input.

It got me thinking because my first thought in that scenario would be to have a single dynamic TMP font with the atlas preloaded with our known character set. Wouldn't that fulfill the same purpose? Or is there something I'm missing?

I realize there's a performance penalty if TMP needs to render a character not found in the atlas in a dynamic font, but is there also a penalty if the character is already in the atlas, or would that lookup be as fast as the character lookup in a static font?

Thanks for reading.