Search Unity

Is there an easier way to save and backup a script as it progresses?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by dennik, Dec 2, 2020.

1. dennik

dennik

I'm used to saving different versions of files while I'm working on something, and for functioning reasons Visual studio won't allow this cause each script represents a class that interacts with other scripts based on it's unique name.
    Some times I may get carried away and update the code into something that runs like crap, and then I can't go back cause Visual Studio only gives me that many undos.

Right now i'm copying the entire script at a stage that it works, and pasting it under a "backup" commented out region at the bottom.(after the class bracket)
    I can't say I'm too happy with this solution, so I was wondering if there is a simple way to save backup versions that are not referenced anymore when the game runs. Any ideas?

2. Yoreki

Yoreki

You probably want to look into a version control system like Git. First of all, your code is safe since it's backed up elsewhere. Secondly, you can create a branch when you want to test out a new feature. If it ends up well, great, just merge it into your main / development branch and continue. Did not work out? Just revert the changes, or simply trash the entire branch and check out the development branch again.

3. Ray_Sovranti

Ray_Sovranti

Use a version control system (like git, for example. I recommend the "Fork" app for a git client, and BitBucket, GitHub, and GitLab are all good free hosts) This will help you keep organized without a lot of old junk files laying around (or at least, not visible ones), and you'll have a full record of your whole project file forever that you can non-destructively return to for testing or for retrieving snippets of your old code you want to keep after all.

Using version control will also prevent you from doing a LOT of things that could otherwise irreversibly corrupt/destroy your project file.

4. dennik

dennik

Thank you both for the suggestions. I'll give Git a try.

5. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Excellent. Once you've used it for a week or two, committing regularly (like whenever you get even the tiniest bit of stuff working), you will wonder how you ever worked without it.

It's like adventuring in a hardcore permadeath RPG without using a save cartridge. Once you have a save cartridge and start saving regularly, you'll save it before you kick open a door or open a chest, etc.