Search Unity

Question Is there a way to speed up building a map (more details in post)?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by LambdaTheDev, Mar 1, 2021.

1. LambdaTheDev

LambdaTheDev

Hello Unity guys,
    I recently started building a map for my game, and I am wondering if I can speed up building the map.
    The map is an underground facility, prefabs have a fixed size (25 * 25 cube).

I am currently doing it like that:
    - I take an asset, place it in the map
    - I reset transform in the inspector
    - I move the object with pressed CTRL to proper destination.

And let me repeat my question,
    Is there a way to make this process faster (excluding creating a script that spawns prefs)?

2. uani

uani

perhaps ProBuilder (unity3d.com) is helpful?

Or using a 3d modeler, like even SketchUp for a floor, ground and something like Blender for objects and importing their mesh? (This is what I have used).

I have read GameObjects are "expensive" (at least if they have many non-static (moving) childs) thus tick the "static" box if you don't intend to move them (like under physics reactions) to perhaps gain some performance.

Regarding resetting: after you've reset an asset in scene, drag it to your assets to create a prefab with that transform. I'm not 100% sure right now Unity does not change those transforms arbitrarily when adding to the scene again but if ot does perhaps thats due to some view option like "align to view".

3. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Ah, content creation, the bane of solo developers. Never have so many hours instantly vaporized in the fury of attempting to create just one simple level that is fun.

I feel your pain lambda, but I also want you to know that the more you do it, the faster you get at it, the more tricks and tips you get, and you just also realize that it's ALWAYS going to be an iterative process:

- put the floor in and a player spawn, test, good? commit to source control
    - put some walls in, retest, commit to source control
    - put some ramps in, retest, commit to source control

Etc. You ARE using source control right? The easiest way to get horribly discouraged is to lose a huge chunk of work because you failed to set up source control and/or use it religiously.

Personally I use git because it is free and there are tons of tutorials out there to help you set it up.

Here's how I use git in one of my games, Jetpack Kurt:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/2-steps-backwards.965048/#post-6282497

Using fine-grained source control as you work to refine your engineering:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/whe...grammer-example-in-text.1048739/#post-6783740

Share/Sharing source code between projects:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/your-techniques-to-share-code-between-projects.575959/#post-3835837

4. LambdaTheDev

LambdaTheDev

@uani maybe not a ProBuilder, but I have found a ProGrids -> this is REALLY helpful, thanks for your answer :D
    and yeah, @Kurt-Dekker - I use GitHub for my game.

Thanks guys!

Kurt-Dekker likes this.