Search Unity

Is there a way to render a camera to a bounding cube / object?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Drowning-Monkeys, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Drowning-Monkeys

Drowning-Monkeys

Hi there,

So let's assume you were making a 3D remake of "The Legend of Zelda", meaning that Link traverses the map by going from 'square' to 'square', and when he gets to the edge of a square, the map slides over, and places Link on the opposite side of the screen. (If he was on the left side of the screen, when switching squares, he'd start from the right)

In 3D - The camera is sitting at an angle above and tilted down at the play area (in perspective mode, not ortho, lets assume this for the problem at hand). Because the game is in 3D space, you would see the other 'squares' that Link would move to, and i obviously don't want that. So what I want to do is put a bounding rectangle at the origin point, and only render what is inside the cube. Then when Link reaches the edge of the square, the entire world would 'shift' or slide over.

Thoughts? Is this possible?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  2. Drowning-Monkeys

Drowning-Monkeys

Bump -
    Ok, here's another example of what i mean. Remember Powermonger?

They would render a 3D world inside a table. When you wanted to see another part of the map, you'd press one of those arrow buttons on the bottom left, and the map would scroll, but always be culled to the table as you see it now.