Search Unity

Is there a way to Record you're own sounds?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by thechubbymonkey, Jan 8, 2015.

1. thechubbymonkey

thechubbymonkey

The title says it all. I need to record a quick sound for my game. Is there a way to do that and add it to my game?

2. maikonfarias

maikonfarias

You can use a headset or any other computer mic to record any sound, you can be creative to create what you want.

I use Audacity to record and edit my sounds.
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

You can also use a Smartphone App to record sounds.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  3. thechubbymonkey

thechubbymonkey

But how to you add them to unity? Is there a option in Unity to record a sound?

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

You take the resulting wav files and add them to your project.

5. thechubbymonkey

thechubbymonkey

]

Ok, I see what you mean. Thanks for the help! :D

6. MonsterfishGames

MonsterfishGames

Depending on what kind of game you're making and the quality you're after, there are many ways to record audio. The technique mentioned by maikonfarias is good for rather low quality audio/voice (the microphone and recording equipment is noisy in and off itself and you will get background noises and probably reverb), and some may be happy with that.

But if you want to make quality sounds that stands out you would have to invest a lot of both time and money to acquire knowhow and equipment.

If you really want to do this by yourself (and it is both fun and rewarding), I suggest you start by reading up on foley, field recording and audio editing to decide if this is something you would like to dive into. Then you must be ready to invest at least 1000 USD for basic equipment (as with photography, the amount you must spend on equipment quickly adds up!).

If this is not for you, I would strongly advise you to either find free sound effects online, buy some or ask/pay someone to make some for you.
    Remember that the audio is at least 50% of the experience when playing a game, and bad sound could ruin it even if the game is flawless in every other aspects.

Good luck!

maikonfarias likes this.