Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is There A Way To Put Packages With Dependencies On The Asset Store? [solved]

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by keenanwoodall, Apr 11, 2019.

1. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

I'm not sure how to handle dependencies. I'm assuming it won't "just work."

2. felipemunoz_unity

felipemunoz_unity

Unity Technologies

When you say 'Packages' do you mean an Asset Store package that has dependencies in something else? Or are you talking about a Package Manager package (UPM Package) that you are trying to put in the Asset Store?

It is my understanding that:
    • Asset Store packages do not support dependencies.
    • Package Manager packages can have dependencies but they cannot be published on the Asset Store :(

Do you think that documenting what your dependencies are might help your case? (so that users of your package can see that on the Asset Store and be "warned" that they need extra packages in their projects)

3. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

Yea, I meant putting a UPM package on the Asset Store that has dependencies. It would be cool if you could mark an asset as a UPM package on the Asset Store and when it's installed from the Asset Store UPM would actually install it as a package, but I understand if Unity doesn't want to have the Asset Store and UPM be connected. I can definitely add install instructions, but it will be a bit annoying for users as they'll have to manually assign asmdef references and look at the package.json file to install the correct dependencies/versions.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  4. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Stephen-Hodgson likes this.
  5. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

6. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

I take it this has now changed?

Right now the Asset Store upload screen has a field "which other asset store packages is this dependent on ?" or something like that ... although I'm finding it very difficult (read: no success so far) discovering ANY documentation on that field, what it means, how it works, what the options are, etc.

(I have a 5 year old package - still works on Unity 5.x! - that I have some complex upgrade paths / needs for (it's going to split into multiple packages, because it's become too complex to be a single package moving forwards).

JoNax97 likes this.
  7. steinbitglis

steinbitglis

I would like to know this too, if you did find an answer.

8. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

It has no effect. Unity hasn't yet implemented anything except for a fake button :) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JavaBob likes this.