Search Unity

Is there a way to programatically export your game to other platforms?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by lucaslrt, Nov 21, 2017.

1. lucaslrt

lucaslrt

I'm creating a web game that the player "creates" your own game. I'm wondering if there's a way to export this game to other platforms.

2. Laperen

Laperen

are you talking about modding or an actual standalone game?

3. lucaslrt

lucaslrt

I think it's kind a modding. What I want is that the player could "create" the game and played his game without running the tool that he used to create. It's like an engine.

4. McDev02

McDev02

It would be possible I think, but what you need is to make an actual Build yourself which you include in that editor or next to it on the webserver. This would be a base game without the editor tools. E.g. it can just be the same build but with a setting that starts the game and not the editor instead.

Then you could hit Build and all you do is to copy those files of that build to a new location and rename it accordingly. Then you have to add the custom content which the user jsut created. But how you do that is up to you (see the post below for instance).

So all you need is a build of your game that can read custom content of some kind.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    lucaslrt likes this.
  5. laxbrookes

laxbrookes

Funnily enough I was reading something similar to what I think you are looking for the other day..

http://www.turiyaware.com/creating-a-moddable-unity-game/

Not sure if it's 100% what you are after but there are some very interesting points. In particular, look at the Asset Bundles approach.

lucaslrt likes this.
  6. Laperen

Laperen

If its going to be creating a custom level file like Warcraft3, then its a matter of having a creator mode and play mode in your game regardless of its platform. There would be a standard save location where the levels could be thrown in, or your game would have a way of downloading levels from a server.

If you want the created file to be able to run on its own however, which seems more likely with your first reply, highly doubt it's possible. If creating a full fledged game is what you are aiming for however, I don't see the point of replicating what Unity does, using Unity itself.

7. lucaslrt

lucaslrt

My idea was to facilitate a game development, but just for an especific game.

8. lucaslrt

lucaslrt

But how can I create a build myself? Is it possible using the scripts?

9. Laperen

Laperen

Are your users creating maps or full-fledged games?