Search Unity

Question Is there a way to make the film grain static?

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by stealthyshiroean, Jul 28, 2022.

1. stealthyshiroean

stealthyshiroean

Or is there a way to make any sort of static visual noise? I've been trying to look around through various videos and other sources for any indication of this but can't seem to find anything that isn't the animated film grain effect.

What I have thus far is a game object with the volume component and a film grain override. However, the grains move and I'd like them to remain static. Is this possible via this method or would I need to do something else?

2. ElevenGame

ElevenGame

you mean static like just overlaying a texture on the screen? you could use a UI raw image for that..

3. stealthyshiroean

stealthyshiroean

Well....yeah, I guess when you put it like that it does sound pretty dumb. I guess I meant to be able to do this in-engine without needing to make a separate image.

4. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

You can create a Shader in Shadergraph that samples one of the many Noise Nodes available, using screen space as UVs, and put that material on a default sprite or screen filling quad? :)

5. stealthyshiroean

stealthyshiroean

Recently came across ShaderGraph and it was looking like it was what could work for me. Thanks for pointing me on the right path!