Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a way to make high poly objects very low poly

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by ApexofReality, Jan 8, 2017.

1. ApexofReality

ApexofReality

In blender or any special "low poly" software is there the the ability to change high poly model into models that look like they could be in the game "Superhot?" or is it just easier to actually model it.

2. MV10

MV10

There are various processes collectively referred to as re-topologizing (or just retopo) -- putting that term into Google will get you a lot of advice of varying quality. There are somewhat expensive dedicated tools for this, but there are also various ways to accomplish it through Blender alone. I keep these two bookmarked since I can never remember the steps. Different techniques work better with certain kinds of geometry. It's definitely a trial-and-error thing.

http://blog.digitaltutors.com/retopologize-nine-times-faster-shrink-wrap-modifier-blender/

http://blendersushi.blogspot.com/2014/03/technique-retopology-using-sverchok.html

3. zugsoft

zugsoft

I use Unwrap3D for this.

4. ippdev

ippdev

ZBrush has great tools that you can create edge loops, define areas where it holds detail and areas to cut the number of polys, and sliders to dial in the amount of polygons you shoot for. It will keep the normal map information from the high poly object and project it onto the low poly surface. You could also bake cavity and occlusion maps and combine them later with the texture maps of the low poly version to create the illusion of even greater detail.

5. Murgilod

Murgilod

It's probably easier to just model it. I suppose if you really want to be bass-ackwards about it you could always use something like this though: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/69971

6. MV10

MV10

But then you lose the ability to bake texture maps to provide the appearance of greater detail (as @ippdev describes).

Of course, that's not exactly an issue in something as minimalist as Superhot. :)

7. ApexofReality

ApexofReality

That is very interesting i might look forward to that

8. ApexofReality

ApexofReality

So if i had a high poly ak i made can i just turn it into a very low poly one with repology?

9. ApexofReality

ApexofReality

10. MV10

MV10

11. ApexofReality

ApexofReality

You can only get evaulation for free lol.

12. Ryeath

Ryeath

Retopology is not difficult, but depending on the model can be time consuming. Also retopologizing for and animated object will be different from that of a static? (non animated) object since you will need to worry about deformations when animating.
    The advantages of retopology will be in game performance. If you have a very high poly object the game engine has to draw all those polygons. If you have fewer polygons it doesn't take as much time to draw the object.
    So the typical way is to make a high poly object. Use one of many different techniques to make a second lower poly object then bake a normal map which the low poly object will use to "fake" the high poly look.
    I do it all in Blender.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

simplygon used to be the goto right?? .. i dunno how it is nowadays

but yeah theres tons of solutions for it..

blender has a decimate modifier but id be clever with it if you care much about precise quality of its outputs... but i suppose its like that with any of the solutions?

14. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Max and (probably) Maya also have built in tools for this, and they are simple to use.
    But my favorite and which I think is the best for the right price is Mudbox's retopo tools. Similar to zbrushes retopo tool, but cheaper at $10 sub per month.

15. Chinafreak

Chinafreak

16. peders

peders

that gif is gold, thank you Chinafreak

17. slothette64

slothette64

Thought I'd chip in to mention that MeshLab can also do this, with "quadratic edge collapse decimation" and there is an option for "with texture" if you want to attempt to preserve UVs. As far as free solutions go, this is the best I've found:-
    http://meshlab.sourceforge.net

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  18. richardh

richardh

Yep, Duplicate a high poly mesh and move to another layer (maintain the exact position/location & scale of the duplicate) decimate the duplicate and then bake the texture from the high to low poly using 'selected to active' method. Lots of Youtube vids on this to help :)