Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a way to implement intellisense when writing a shader?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Sahkan, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Sahkan

Sahkan

2. Sahkan

Sahkan

Anyone?...

3. Baste

Baste

Not really.

The shaders are written in an amalgation of a bunch of different languages, so to get autocomplete, somebody has to write a tool that does that. The one you linked is probably your best bet.

I seem to remember that MonoDevelop had some rudementary shader support, but I could be wrong.

4. steego

steego

Only syntax highlighting.

5. lordofduct

lordofduct

hopetolive likes this.
  6. GregBahm

GregBahm

Oh look. I googled this, only to find a post from 4 years ago of someone telling me to just google it.

DaveBars, Wilhelm_LAS, S1NATB and 9 others like this.
  7. mgear

mgear

8. Layfully

Layfully

You can try using rider.

9. lordofduct

lordofduct

When googling/searching things you're of course going to find a lot of negative results. Those including ads, forum posts asking about it, and much more. Google will often return hundreds, if not thousands, of results. They can't all be the answer.

So you must filter past those results when looking for positive results.

Example the same search query I demonstrated 4 years ago still has top results that aren't this thread:
    upload_2021-8-9_8-50-44.png

Lastly, this very thread has links to answers that might assist you. Oh no, it also contains someone saying to google something. Sorry it wasn't your exact answer served up on a silver platter. Maybe next time?

hopetolive and Yoreki like this.
  10. gooby429

gooby429

funniest part is they linked the exact same link that OP did :D

Wilhelm_LAS and Teejay5 like this.
  11. zombience

zombience

Hahah yep, exactly this.
    OP: "hey i'm looking for something specific, I've tried (this link) and it's not quite what I'm looking for. Suggestions?"
    Responder: "google returns (exactly the link OP posted) as first link, maybe give that a try"

:|

Anyway, chalk up yet another person googling this issue ending up at this thread.

I found the Visual Studio version of the VSCode plugin linked above, and in my very minimal testing so far it seems to work pretty well, suggesting auto-complete for my custom written code, and also suggesting built-ins from unity's structure.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ShaderlabVS2019.ShaderlabVS

I'd love to hear other people's experiences with their various solutions tried in this thread. How about let's turn this thread from a 'google it' hype party to a 'I've tried these things and this is what worked for me' kinda jam.

AHWilliams, Teejay5 and ELothspeich like this.
  12. Cato11

Cato11

Does anyone know if it's possible to get IntelliSense working in Shader files for VS Mac? My C# files have no issue with IntelliSense but writing Shader files without IntelliSense is like writing in Notepad, it makes it very difficult to learn the language.

MS states that it does support basic code completion with IntelliSense for shaders in Mac, but it just does not seem to work for me.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
  13. SwitchHD

SwitchHD