Search Unity

Is there a way to get a a part of an animated object to appear and play at a specific keyframe ?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Shafikah, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Shafikah

Shafikah

I'm really not good in scripting and still not really familiar with Unity. I've tried researching if there is a solution but i don't seem to find any somehow.

I have my objects animated in C4D and exported it to Unity to do AR and let the animation play in AR mode. There's 2 objects that will appear at a diff timing when the whole animation is being played. I've created a script under the object that is going to come in at a later timing and i only know how to hide it at the start of the animation but i don't know how to make it reappear at a certain keyframe time that i want. Is there an easy way to code for it to re-appear at that specific timing and hide the other object?
    i've uploaded the actual animation and also a screenshot of the script i've been stucked on :(

Attached Files:

2. Inxentas

Inxentas

Perhaps Animation Events would help. You add those to an animation on a certain frame. When this frame is reached, a method on the object can be fired.

You could also copy all the keyframes into a new animation, so you can add keyframes for the two underlying objects and simply animate their Enabled property.

3. Shafikah

Shafikah

thank you for replying. Do you mean i have to open my timeline first? I'm not sure where to see all the keyframes of my animation in unity, sorryy :confused:

4. Inxentas

Inxentas

Yes, you have to open the timeline. At the top of any timeline there's a grey bar on which you can add said Animation Events.

Animations from a file might be read-only. So you select all keyframes and ctrl-c, ctrl-v them into a new animation to open it up for modification.

Example: I did so with a Punch animation. First I copied over all keyframes so I could tweak the animation's length. I then added two Animation Events at the start and beginning of the 'contact' frames.

The first enables a collider. The second disables it again. Use Animation Events for 'run this method at this frame' type of logic.

I could have also animated the Enabled property of said collider, or it's position. It depends a bit on the needs of your game.

Shafikah likes this.