Search Unity

Is there a way to change settings AFTER build ?

Discussion in 'Web' started by Jichaels, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Jichaels

Jichaels

Hello,

I'm currently working on a small project for myself (a multiplayer space shooter) and everything is working well in windows standalone build aswell as unity editor. I have a json file that I use to load settings at startup. So if I need to make a few changes in settings I only have to edit the json file instead of rebuilding everything.

How can I achieve the same for WebGL ? I already have a #if UNITY_WEBGL block but currently it's hardcoded and if I want to change something I need to rebuild for WebGL (and it's taking soooooo long it's insane).

Anyhelp would help me a ton (and my processor too, he's dying when I build to WebGL :D)

2. Marco-Trivellato

Marco-Trivellato

Unity Technologies

What's preventing you to use the json settings file on WebGL?

3. Jichaels

Jichaels

For standalone build I use relative path (aka. Application.dataPath + "/Config/myfile) and create a folder Config in MyApp/MyApp_data, but when building to WebGL Application.dataPath gives an url instead of the path to the app.

Thanks for your answer anyway !

4. Marco-Trivellato

Marco-Trivellato

Unity Technologies

I would suggest to start by having your config file in Assets/StreamingAssets/Config, then download the file at run-time using UnityWebRequest. The url will be the following:

Code (csharp):
    1. Application.streamingAssetsPath + "/Config/myfile

Have a look at this page for more info on the StreamingAssets directory.

5. Jichaels

Jichaels

Thanks a ton, I completly missed that ! I had to copy/paste my config folder every time I built the project.
    I'll see what I can do for WebGL !

Thanks again

6. Jichaels

Jichaels

Everything working like a charm in editor, standalone and WebGL :D