Search Unity

Question Is there a way to build and play Unity projects on my Ubuntu PC?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by RichAllen2023, Nov 15, 2021.

1. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Above.

I don't have a USB cable for my Android, and my Brother says putting my phone in developer mode is "risky" and could brick my phone so he won't support me doing it.

However, is there a way to play Ruby's 2D Adventure on my PC after building it?

Never mind, I downloaded and built the game for Linux, but the game isn't there and I have to log out and log back into my PC to get out of the game! Is there a way to fix this?

I'm using the latest Unity 2020.3 on the latest Ubuntu distro.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Developer mode is not necessarily risky, that is how developers generally develop on Android devices. Alternatively, as stated in your other thread, you can publish to Google Play and download it as a tester. You said both "my game isn't there" followed by "log back into my PC to get out of the game", I don't believe it can be both? Please elaborate and perhaps share some screenshots. What location did you build to?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  3. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

I've tried to do a print screen from Unity when I build and run the Ruby game, it just crashes and I have to do ctrl alt delete to log out and back into my Ubuntu whereby I lose the pic.

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

The print screen, the game or Unity crashes? Use another screen capture app. Also, compare to the SampleScene of a new project, simplify the problem, and Build and Run. Also, try just a Build then launch the game manually.

5. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Print screen doesn't work, and the game itself crashes.

I am running Unity 2020.3.21 on the latest Ubuntu distro... I had problems running Unity in general under Linux Debian but at least it didn't crash like this!

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Got it! Please keep me posted regarding my suggestions. Get the basics working first.

7. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Must be just the Ruby 2D Adventure and the FPS Creator that don't work, I just built and ran the Puzzle game tutorial and it worked perfectly.

JeffDUnity3D likes this.