Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Is there a viable way to use the same animation on a Left or Right arm via 'flipping'?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by sketchygio, Dec 16, 2022.

1. sketchygio

sketchygio

So I basically have a 2D IK symmetrical enemy rig that is facing the camera (though I don't mind trying out a 3D rig if it offers a possible solution), that should be able to equip and use weapons on either its left or right hand, like a sword. The weapon's attack animations would be made using the right hand as a base, but I would like to be able to re-use the same animation when the sword happens to be equipped on the left hand, effectively mirroring it the motion.

If that's not possible, is the conventional solution to just double the amount of animations the sword weapon would have? A Sword Idle, Sword Attack, etc for each arm?

2. Noodle_Meanie

Noodle_Meanie

This is what I did to flip my character:

3. sketchygio

sketchygio

Thanks, but I'm not talking about sprite flipping. I'm asking about flipping an Animation on a rigged character in 3D space, so that a right arm animation might be usable on a left arm.

Edit: To give a loose example, like in Dark Souls, where you'd be able to equip a Shortsword in a left or right hand, but be able to use a similar animation on each.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  4. Noodle_Meanie

Noodle_Meanie

You could try mirroring it in either untiy or blender if thats what you made it in. Does that help?

5. sketchygio

sketchygio

Hmmm... that was the first thing I tried, which works great with normal sprite hierachies, but doesn't technically work when working with rigs from the skinning editor. I was trying to avoid messing with breaking the bone hierarchy in the first place but... that may just be a symptom of me overthinking a simple problem, and mirroring might actually be the simplest solution. Even if it means removing the arms as rigged bones, and instead merely attaching them as child GOs to the torso.

I'll mess with it for a few days and hope for the best. But thanks, you're probably right, that should be the way to go.