Search Unity

Is there a Unit Z-esque "visual novel" microgame starter kit out there for purchase?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Acerthorn, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Acerthorn

Acerthorn

Unit Z is a pre-made ready-to-play "zombie survival horror" game with minecraft-inspired graphics. It is notorious for many steam asset flippers simply taking the fact that it's ready-to-play a little too seriously, and just upload the damn thing, unedited, as their own game, changing maybe the title and absolutely nothing else.

Visual novels honestly seem like the perfect genre for such starter kits. There are plenty of ways the kit could discourage asset flipping. For example, the characters who appear on screen can simply be non-sexual silhouettes, the backgrounds can simply be solid color rectangles, and most importantly of all, the dialogue boxes - which contain the story (the most important part of a visual novel) - can simply have the sentence "This is placeholder text" copied and pasted over and over again. So there would literally be no point to simply uploading the starter kit unedited to steam, because there is literally nothing to sell!

Are there any good visual novel starter kits out there?

Ideally, I would like one that already has all the scripts needed for a fully-functional visual novel are already in the starter kit. This includes all the controls, all the branching paths in the story, the commands for triggering sound effects or switching to new musical tracks, swapping out character avatars (e.g. if a character goes from curious to surprised, that's a different avatar I need to use), switching backgrounds, adding and subtracting from "relationship scores," and yes, even the consumer's ability to purchase premium currency or sit through ads to get free premium currency.

This is because scripting seems to be the most confusing part of the entire process for me. It's the part that most goes over my head. Whenever I watch a unity tutorial and follow along step-by-step, I can typically do just fine ... until I get to the section on scripting. I just can't seem to get the hang of it. More than any other part of the game, I need scripting to be done for me since I just don't seem to get it!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  2. Valjuin

Valjuin

3. Acerthorn

Acerthorn

4. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Sounds like you need a Code Monkey.

Ask around on the forum, I'm sure someone would help you out :)

5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Sounds like you want the entire game done minus the content :p

I doubt you'll be that lucky.