Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a tutorial/lesson etc that starts from zero and goes from there for VR?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by merckkk, Feb 23, 2021.

1. merckkk

merckkk

I've downloaded/looked at a few tutorials...about half way through the vr escape room tutorial right now. I have one complaint with these tutorials - they don't really explain or teach you anything. They simply tell you how to drag and drop various premade assets/functions into unity scenes. If you want to work within the framework of these tutorials, they are very cool. For example, i think the lego minigame would be great for kids wanting to get into any sort of game design/programming etc

But I'd like something that starts at a more basic level. None of these tutorials have explained how you make an asset, how you write any code to interact with those assets etc

Can anyone recommend a good starting point for something that starts with the bare basics especially for developing for the Oculus Quest, and VR in general?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Deleted User likes this.
  2. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

merckkk and Deleted User like this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

For the basics, you should avoid VR specific tutorials. After you have a good understanding how to use Unity, then move onto how to use Unity to do VR. I'm pretty sure any VR tutorial is going to either assume you already know the basics of Unity, or is so dumbed down that it avoids pretty much anything that requires any Unity knowledge (and thus doesn't actually teach you anything).

merckkk, Schneider21 and Deleted User like this.
  4. Schneider21

Schneider21

Just want to second what Joe said. It's not that VR is insanely complicated or anything, but it involves enough elements that learning it while familiarizing yourself with Unity and the basics of game development is overly ambitious. Adding to that, many of the platform-specific SDKs like Oculus or SteamVR do kinda just involve dragging prefabs from their integrations into your project. Of course you can customize them, but that involves modifying or extending their code, and that is not newbie friendly.

Don't try to take any shortcuts that bypass gaining experience the old fashioned way. Put in the time and you'll be grateful you did.

merckkk likes this.