Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

is there a step by step tutorial for the very basics?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by charlieaf92, Aug 4, 2009.

1. charlieaf92

charlieaf92

I am new to programming and have never used a game engine. My friend and I have made two apps from scratch and are in the planning stages of our third (a game). I have programmed 1 game for the PC - a simple platformer and it made me realize just how much I take for granted (gravity, inertia, etc). I have a strong suspicion that getting an engine to help in the development is the smartest route to take - but I still don't completely understand how the development process works when using one.

Is there a step by step walk through of how to develop using unity for the iPhone? IE, what is the first step - when do you use xcode (if at all) - where is programming involved and how much is WYSIWYG?

Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    charlie

2. JRavey

JRavey

My personal opinion is that you should probably just not worry about the iPhone part of things for a little while and play around with the normal version of the engine. Then, when you have a grasp, worry about the iPhone. There are some minor differences in working with the iPhone, but not significant enough that they would impede a smooth transition in learning.

Any time you are using a new engine, you should just make small prototypes to learn the ins and outs, try some tests to see if things work as you expect them to work, and don't be afraid to throw away code. Then, when you have a good feeling of what Unity can do for you, you will be able to implement it in your actual game better on the first try.

The final polish, before deployment to the iPhone is done in XCode, although Unity does a well enough job that you should not have to do too much. This is part of the reason for my earlier suggestion of just playing with Unity, that means you won't have to worry about XCode at all for a bit. One thing at a time.

That's just my two cents.

3. steinhot

steinhot

For me the best tutorials out there for unity are by Will Goldstone at http://learnmesilly.com

Between those, the ones provided on unity and this forum--it may be all you need.

If you're a coder and can learn by looking at other's code, then I would also buy the source code for Metal Sun by Bike2 here: http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=29396

The best $100 you'll spend as his code is clean and has a lot of good tricks in it. He just put it up yesterday, I downloaded it last night, and within 20 minutes of looking at his code--I learned more than $100 worth of techniques. He gives you everything--textures, models, sounds, everything. At $100 it is a steal.

4. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

And soon we'll have a full-on tutorial surrounding Penelope, a demo app you can now download for free from the AppStore:

Penelope

It will be iPhone specific but must wait for the Unity iPhone 1.1 release to come out (which is ever so close now!). It will be a tutorial along with full source code ready for you to digest.

Otherwise, jump into the general materials that are out there, whether from Will Goldstone, us or others, as building a base foundation of Unity knowledge will most definitely help you regardless.

Have fun! :)

5. charlieaf92

charlieaf92

Thank you! The goldstone site looks like it may answer all of my questions. I am going to take a long look at it this evening after work.