Search Unity

Is there a other eaiser program than blender that is free..(please don't name blender or help?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Theonesuperx, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Theonesuperx

Theonesuperx

I really can't get into Blender.. It is hard to get used when there is soo much in the UI and it is pretty confusing. I really need to learn how to make human anime/cel shaded characters (3d models) if I want to start making 3d games.I am pretty good at Wings 3d but I can't find that many tuts on it that help me with making human characters.Is there a other free modeling that is not hard like Blender or any help for me.I just want a other modeling program that is not as confusing or you can try to maybe list a other thing that can make me understand blender. (I know about CGCookie and I went over his basics,but i am not sure where to go after the basics.) Thanks in advanced.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Paint works well for non artists like myself. Its only real drawback is lack of support for transparency.

Ryiah and jpthek9 like this.
  3. Theonesuperx

Theonesuperx

I am sorry. I should have made this clear. I mean 3d models. Not artwork. Sorry for making that unclear.

4. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

GraphicsGale is what you want if youre interested in 2d pixel art (guess youre not, maybe some1 else is?)

i was gonna say SketchUp .. but i guess you cant use it for commercial projects, lol lame.. thought u could?
    (and i dunno what formats it exports .. ive Hardly used it before)

hmm dunno 3d modeller thats free other than blender

blender i find is actually really easy to use, most the time you dont need all the other windows and stuff, most of it is for like if youre using blender to make movies, or rendered still image art, or blender game engine..

most what i use besides the normal 3d view is.. UV editor is required to texture, and animations parts..
    maybe check out SciFi Animator on youtube, his videos helped me ALOT

5. hopeful

hopeful

Blender is not so bad if you get the right introduction. All those many things in the UI are actually needed, depending on what you want to do, and there is a rational structure behind it all.

I thought it was helpful to watch a few videos in this series:

karl_jones likes this.
  6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

If you don't have the resources to make a 3D game, make a 2D game instead.

7. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

This is kind of like someone learning to paint asking if there's a paintbrush that will make it easier to paint pictures of cars. The paint brush probably isn't the problem. It's true that different tools will have their strengths and weaknesses, but no tool (within reason) can replace the need for fundamental skills in the craft.

Making good looking human models is hard. It will take lots of practice. That practice will take time.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  8. Theonesuperx

Theonesuperx

Well, I guess I will just stick with Blender and look at the channels that hopeful and
    CeoMengde777 suggested. Hopefully I will learn it better.

Shushustorm and angrypenguin like this.
  9. Ryiah

Ryiah

http://www.makehuman.org/

ippdev likes this.
  10. HemiMG

HemiMG

Well, cars are spray painted. So in that case asking for the right tool would probably be pretty helpful! ;-)

Kidding aside, characters are hard. I've made a high poly one using the blenderella tutorial. It was a lot of fun, but I wouldn't want to try to retopo it for use in a game or worry about getting it right for animation needs and things of that nature. For my current project I am using MakeHuman and editing it as I need in Blender. I tried Autodesk's Character Generator, but the character it spit out didn't look all that great.

angrypenguin and aer0ace like this.
  11. aer0ace

aer0ace

Blender is probably the best and most accessible option for creating a commercial product with 3D content. Your next best bet is Maya LT at 240 bucks a year, which is actually quite good. If you are absolutely stuck on making 3D content with a free package, I suggest you suck it up and take the time to learn and get comfortable with Blender.

12. hopeful

hopeful

I'd say that first you should learn to navigate a little in Blender. Don't try to learn it all at once, but get to where you feel confident about how to find things and the basic controls.

Then maybe find some free characters that resemble what you want to work with, and I know there's at least one free toon shader in the store. Play around with them in Unity. See how they work with mecanim. Then load one of the most promising of the models in Blender and try making modifications. You'll probably learn a lot that way, by tinkering.

13. Fab4

Fab4

Ive been working with blender for a long time and I also tried other programs like Maya or Modo. All those programs have their strength, but in the end it has to feel right for you.
    If you want to learn how to model characters, take a look at Blenderella tutorial.
    I also can recommend this guy:
    (this is more for getting some inspiration how to do it)
    But as previous mentioned by others: take your time to get used to a software. Good results need their time and patience

14. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Just mkeep trying and you'll get used to blender and its hotkey system which I love :)

15. Kasko

Kasko

To add my 2 cents: if you have troubles with the UI and remembering the workflow, learning resources on the web are maybe not the most efficient as the knowledge is "scattered".

I would suggest you get the book "Complete GuideTo Blender Graphics" by John Blain. It's not cheap but it has a good learning approach/curve and you can quickly use it for references later (even more important if you don't use Blender regularly, you'll tend to forget the workflow):

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guid...TSC_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1442996233&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Gu...e=UTF8&qid=1442996675&sr=1-8&keywords=blender

Of course, if you want some quick and free human models check "make human" (as posted above) but in the long run it won't make you learn 3d modeling.

16. antislash

antislash

https://clara.io/
    it's online, it's free, it's very 3dsmax like, try it, maybe...

theANMATOR2b and Not_Sure like this.
  17. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I'm with you, the UI is complete garbage. It's by FAR Blender's number one drawback.

In fact, that seems to be the main problem with ALL open source projects (Linux, Open Office, GIMP). They're all made by programmers and programmers tend to suck at seeing how laymen see things, then fans often get huffy if you imply that the UI is not intuitive and easy to learn because 1) how dare you not understand something, and 2) it's clearly easy because it's easy for them after using it for several years.

Anyway, there may be some Blender ad-ons that make modeling specifically for games easier. Have you looked around for that?

Liminal-Ridges and theANMATOR2b like this.
  18. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Blender 2.8 will be redoing the ui completely I read so you could wait for that.

19. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

are there any screenshots already? would like to see how they changed it :)

otherwise i really liked cinema4d in the beginning but now switched to maya LT which has a nice clean ui. what i dislike is that there is no layer system like in photoshop or cinema4d

20. Ryiah

Ryiah

Again?

elmar1028, Kiwasi and Shushustorm like this.
  21. Tiles

Tiles

They will not redo it completely. They will do some modifications. At the table are for example customizable and dragable toolbars.

22. HemiMG

HemiMG

They just did a major overhaul of the UI in 2.5, so I don't know if it will be redone completely in 2.8. I'm still holding out the fantasy that one day they'll take Andrew Price's interface design suggestions. His vision of Blender looks amazing.

Noisecrime, Ryiah and kittik like this.
  23. Ryiah

Ryiah

Very nice. Can we have it for Unity too?

HemiMG likes this.
  24. kittik

kittik

I tried getting into Blender, but the interface was too much for me to handle. I'd love it to get a new interface.

Ony likes this.
  25. Arowx

Arowx

What about VR has anyone worked on/with/seen a AAA VR 3d modelling app?

I have seen a couple of 3d drawing/painting and sculpting apps/demos. I just think that an AR or VR 3d modelling app would make it really easy to use, just because the UI would need to be included within the environment.

For example a VR UI could have modelling tools could appear as real world tools, hammer, chisel, drill, tape measure, sprit level, binoculars, hair brush, paint brush, air brush, bucket of particles/fluid/stuffing, scissors, thread?

Then anyone could start creating in 3D.

26. LaneFox

LaneFox

The trouble with most modern modeling applications is that they give you 100% of the features when you only need 5% of them.

The easiest modeling I ever did was mesh modeling while 3dsmax was still owned by discreet. I actually have a more difficult time using it today because of all the useless garbage I have to filter through to get to the options I actually need. The stuff you need is right next to ten options you dont need.

That makes it really daunting for beginners, there's just too much visual noise. Heck, look at zrbush - its literally impossible to pick up zbrush and be able to do anything without viewing 4 hours of tutorials.

BrandyStarbrite, Kiwasi, Ony and 3 others like this.
  27. antislash

antislash

yes it has been demonstrated...
    but some sculptris users like me will recognize it's interface and Tools...
    sounds cool but not really handy IMO.

Shushustorm likes this.
  28. goat

goat

What you want then is to learn to re-texture models. And to use something like UMA.

29. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Oh no, is THAT thread spilling into here? :D

Anyway, I woder why there aren't more modelling assets?

Liminal-Ridges and Kiwasi like this.
  30. antislash

antislash

no....not UMA again please

Not_Sure and Kiwasi like this.
  31. Eric-Darkomen

Eric-Darkomen

in summary:

32. jpthek9

jpthek9

If you dun wanna cough up the cash, cough up the effort. Comon, man! It's free and has everything you need!

You're not going to find anything except Unity that'll hold your hand and walk you through everything without $$$.

da_st likes this.
  33. Theonesuperx

Theonesuperx

Well...Thanks guys for taking your time to post here and for your awesome suggestions. I will give Blender more time and do my best to get used to it. If I can't i will check out the other tools suggested here... Thanks, ladies and gentlemen.

34. aer0ace

aer0ace

Since I like beating a dead horse, and I also like how the OP's thread title includes instructions to not mention Blender, yet the thread turned into a Blender thread, AND yet the OP was just fine with that, I want to respond to some of the Blender discussion here. I also agree that the UI is horrible, but every time I run into a UI snag, I think about the money I'm saving... Seriously. It's a bit of an upfront time investment, but I think it's worth it. The UI problems are not THAT bad after you understand what's going on, and get beyond the frustration. I can understand that if you considered pre-Blender 2.5 I would have advised against it.

I'd give anywhere between 3-6 months to learn and get comfortable with Blender, for modeling, texturing, and animation. You'll hit several snags that you'll have to work around. Others have also pointed out that the documentation is severely fragmented on the internet, and Google searches will sometimes result in old documentation on higher hits. But as long as the documentation is referring to 2.5 or greater, it should work well. Another piece of advice is to stick with the default keyset until you are comfortable, as most tutorials will refer to the default keyset. I'm left handed, and use a tablet, with my right hand on the keyboard, and it was difficult learning with most shortcuts on the left side of the keyboard.

Side note, I saw the UMA thread, and I actually had to look up what that was. Something's wrong with their marketing if they can't even mention what it stands for to potential customers like me. From the reactions in this thread, I'd guess it's not all that it's cracked up to be?

35. Kasko

Kasko

DAZ should be out of this as the OP wants to make a 3D game where he wants to incorporate a 3D character in it. The basic DAZ license/EULA is only for meant for renders (like rendering a DAZ 3D scene to a bitmap for some artworks, covers, character portraits, etc.). If he wants to use a 3D character directly, he has to pay an additional license of 500$ minimum and then has to check the game licenses with each vendor to be on the right side of the law.
    http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=license

36. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Totally agree with you Lane. Luckily I have grown with Max so all the options to do thing 5 different ways isn't too terribly daunting to me.
    I think the most user friendly modeling software on the market today is Mudbox. Unfortunately it only for high resolution sculpting and painting.

Aside form the link antislash provided - it seems the only other alternatives are cheap not free.
    3D coat looks like a user friendly application, and though it is reasonably priced its not free.
    Also look into Maya LT - which is cheap.

Interesting - did not know of this.

LaneFox and antislash like this.
  37. Eric-Darkomen

Eric-Darkomen

Hey Kasco, there are actually licensing options for a number of the Daz3d models, if you search license in their content store you'll get a few 'products' where they sell 3D, per production licenses. There is serious money involved, however I've seen them discounted 70% more than once and believe you can pick a license up for a reasonable sum if you're patient but quick on the draw.

I can also verify that in the *ahem* persuit of a 2D render that I discovered they work reasonably well with Unity although there's an issue with transparency on the eyelashes. Not free but worth a mention.

Ony likes this.
  38. goat

goat

Oh please, UMA is just fine for someone that's made it clear they don't want to learn Blender and so as any one that's actually created a 3D model from start to finish knows, the OP won't be motivated to learn 3D modeling at any price or with any tool. So that's the end of that discussion for me.

For the OP, Morph 3D is DAZ and if the OP was any good at texturing, and you can learn to texture without learning to 3D model, you'd be amazed at what they could do with Morph 3D characters (basically Genesis characters optimized for you already so you need not even pay $500 to DAZ to use their models in a game or the $100 you'd need to pay them for their Decimator to do what they've already done for you with there Morph 3D assets. And you could do the same with the UMA characters do although they can't be morphed into humanoids with animal heads as DAZ's can.

And if the OP doesn't even want to learn to texture then use UMA, Morph 3D, or similar, then piece together individual free models from the asset store - their are plenty of good ones that aren't recognizable to the average game player, just to some Unity users.

Kiwasi, hopeful, Ryiah and 1 other person like this.
  39. charumaliikk

charumaliikk

Nice to have found this thread. Could anyone please send me links for tutorials for beginners for daz studio.

40. charumaliikk

charumaliikk

41. Raestream_G

Raestream_G

I used to use Wings3D and found it pretty straightforward and intuitive to use - it really comes down to practising enough subdivision modelling to the extent of being able to easily transfer your skills between packages. If you want to be able to model human figures, then make a start on it and practice - I actually found it less daunting than I thought, and in the end I got a 'feel' for the process that allowed me to model a reasonably decent human figure without too much hassle.

The only problem I found was that it takes time - a lot of time, if you want you model to look pretty good. In the end, I switched to importing Poser and MakeHuman figures (you'll probably be able to use DAZ ones, too) and tweaking them in Wings3D, simply because it freed up so much time. However, I would recommend you try modelling a human figure from scratch - you might surprise yourself. And if nothing else, you've put in some valuable practice.

42. Player7

Player7

It's 2018... and blender 2.8 gui is still garbage.. oh well

My prediction for hindsight 2020 edition .... is that Blender will be forked by a group of 'actual' professionals who are sick of the S*** direction blender has been taken in.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    passerbycmc likes this.
  43. thelebaron

thelebaron

Well thread necro aside, there is actually a fork of it that has a more recognizable ui, its called bforartists - https://www.bforartists.de/ worth checking out.
    Blender could potentially knock out autodesk's stanglehold on the 3d modelling industry if they redesigned it to adhere to good design principles, I don't understand why they continue to hold on to its convoluted mess of a ui.