Search Unity

Is There A "Lite" Version?

Discussion in 'FPS.Sample Game' started by Mad_Mark, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

@petera_unity I am impressed with the concept, programming, and the artwork. Fantastic job! Disappointed with the performance so far though. Laggy as all get out, even at its lowest graphics level in the simple test level.

Are there any plans to remove the heavy art and create a minimalist version that contains a starter level (just a plane) and good old Ethan with controller? I would love to learn how to use this asset to its max, but need to start somewhere. This very large project seems a huge ball of twine to unwind, and with an unresponsive editor and builds, this is not likely the toy to do it with.

Alternatively, is there guidance somewhere that can point out what can be safely removed, and then built with my own replacement assets?

create3dgames and Journeythedev like this.
  2. Aquastar

Aquastar

@Mad_Mark I agree with you. This big project takes me several weeks to study. What I suggest is you can start from Level_Menu or testlevel.

3. BrianKraus

BrianKraus

Are you using level_01? I suggest level_00. If your computer can't handle even that this project probably just isn't for you. At a certain point it isn't a fault with the project, your rig is just not suited for it.

4. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

@BrianKraus you are right. if my development rig can't handle it, then this may not be the engine (or at least the template) for me, or for the average PC user.

I am running on an i5-4570 @3.20GHz, with 16GB ram. It sports 2 GPUs, Intel and Nvidia, both with a couple gigs on them, connected to 3 monitors 2x30" & 1x50". I've been developing on it for a couple of years, and have re-thought or tossed several of my own creations into the bin when they fall below 50 FPS.

I'm not sure now whether it was Level_01 or 00, it was the smallest testing level that came with the package. I've moved back to 2018.3 and will continue to work on my games there until 2019 has a few more sub-versions behind it. Do you object to the suggestion that a "lite" version or configurable version of this template might be a useful tool?

Just my 2¢, but there is a LOT of unnecessary eye candy that isn't easily managed. Networking functions and scripts are all over the place. If the intention was to put forth something to use as a TEMPLATE for developers to use directly or as a learning aid to take Unity engine development to the next level, then I would expect some easy way to turn things on/off without relearning how to program, and information about what these new elements do/cost performance wise...

Meh, maybe that wasn't the intention. I have been wrong before. Ask my wife...

5. create3dgames

create3dgames

+1 there needs to be a lite version.

6. chrisk

chrisk

I told them to separate the package into the two(bare-minimum and art content packages) when they first released the sample. You will just download the bare minimum package for testing the network and you will download the Full Art Content add-on package if you need the eye candies. They are so stuborn and lazy to do anything about it.

7. lpatrikeyevna

lpatrikeyevna

Hi, I also want to request a lighter version. I have a limited internet connection and downloading that much is difficult for me.

8. DaftPuzzler

DaftPuzzler

Unlike the 3D Game Kit project which was later separated into 3D Game Kit Lite, 3D Game Kit - Character Pack, 3D Game Kit - Environment Pack, 3D Game Kit - Props Pack, this sample project is meant to demo a vertical slice of full AAA game. It's not intended as a start kit. I don't want this to come across as 'a lite version is silly or unnecessary'. A multiplayer fps 'kit' would be awesome but this project is a full game and not a kit to build a full game. If you're looking to modify this project or start your own game on top of this game here are a few tips.

Use The Custom Tools Included
    When adding new assets in your project folder, Right Click > Create > FPS Sample > Then Select Character, Weapon, Ability, Level, etc. Properly add the definition/configuration files to each new item and you'll have a much easier time getting it to integrate.

Use The UI Setup Scene
    To change the UI (per character UI prefabs and overall UI prefabs) you need to change the actual UI prefabs (not just the instances of the prefabs in the UI Setup scene) so after customizing the instances you can click in the inspector pane Overrides > Apply To Prefab

Don't Update Packages
    Updating package files like Shadergraph can completely screw up project bindings and cause endless errors. Unless you know what you're doing, have a way of restoring a previous version, and have a specific reason for changing package versions try to avoid it.

New In Before Old Out
    Because the project tools make it easy to add new things (heroes, levels, weapons, abilities, etc) try to first get new things working before heavily modifying (or possibly breaking) existing assets. Since almost every asset is in some way tied to a separate settings file make sure you follow your references around if you're straight up duplicating asset files.

Removing Existing Assets
    As far as your question about what can safely be removed - that's tricky. If you right click an item in your asset folder you can 'select dependencies' and see which other files that item is attached to (or could possibly break if deleted from project). Removing textures (any kind of color maps) from models, materials, or shaders will cause them to be drawn wrong but may not actually stop the game from running. Removing prefabs without sorting out the scripts that reference them will likely cause more game breaking errors.

One way to work through script files with little to no scripting knowledge is to double click the C# file in Unity, let your IDE (Integrated Development Environment like Visual Studio) open up, select all the text in the script, comment out the entire script (command+/ or control+/ or control+c depending on specific IDE), save it, and return to the project. This will disable the script from doing anything but leave its text and location intact. You can rebuild your scripts in the project tools pane and run the game to see the effect. Afterward you can always go back, open the script again, highlight all the text, uncomment everything (command+/ or control+/ or control+u), and save it back to normal working order.

Project Performance
    I have a 21.5-inch Late 2012 iMac (3.1GHz i7-3770, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512MB graphics). Running this project on the macOS side (in the macOS Unity editor and macOS standalone builds) I see 1-50 fps even with low resolution, low settings, and no post processing, even in level_00. On the Windows side (in the Windows Unity editor and Windows standalone builds) I see 20-60 fps with ultra settings, all post processes, even in level_01, and even running multiple instances of the game, but only with low resolution. Bumping the resolution kills performance as requirements begin to jump up and out of my machine's ranges. Just some info for people running older machines.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  9. MaverickROM

MaverickROM

@DaftPuzzler That was a very thoughtful and useful post, great input!

10. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

[QUOTE@DaftPuzzler That was a very thoughtful and useful post, great input![/QUOTE]

Very well thought out, however look at the very first posting in this forum. It states:
    "The FPS Sample is a multiplayer First Person Shooter game project provided by Unity. You can use it to learn about the latest features in Unity, extract and use the bits and pieces you like, or use the full project as a starting point for your own projects."

Sounds to me like this is supposed be a learning aid. All that I have learned is that Unity developers can't even use their own engine without significant modification to create a AA or AAA quality game. IMHO: The full project was not built to support re-use, never mind dissection for intuitive re-use.

Swing and a miss...

11. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

Bravo on the reply, please post here more often, and follow us to the next goose chase when that DOTS FPS Sample drops here any day now...

DaftPuzzler likes this.
  12. DaftPuzzler

DaftPuzzler

@MaverickROM Cheers!

@Mad_Mark The amount of custom tooling is surprising. I wonder if features like asset bundling in this way will soon accompany the base editor. I agree this project does not favor re-use. Certainly learning aid but less starting aid.

@AggressiveMastery I recently found your awesome tutorials. Very appreciated and cool to see the simulated network cars exploration, procedural terrain generation tests, and general practices with this project. I hope the new dots systems offer greater cohesion. The editor feels a bit disjointed at the moment.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  13. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

@DaftPuzzler Cheers! I was going to do more tutorials, but then Peter and the FPS Sample team said they were going to release tutorials as well. Sadly, that was a lie :<

But I am starting final pull-together of my modd of this game, and do love helping others :)

I hope the next sample, the DOTS sample, is at the same level as the FPS Sample. Sadly, from the videos, I expect it will be much less... But I appreciate your positive spirit, and try to have it my self!

Cheers
    Micah

DaftPuzzler and MaverickROM like this.