Search Unity

is there a hotkey / shortcut key to create a folder?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by stormystudio, Nov 14, 2013.

1. stormystudio

stormystudio

Afternoon all..

Quite simply does anyone know what the hotkey / shortcut key to create a folder is in the project/assets window.

Having to right click, click create, and choose folder (or duplicate one that's already made) seems odd when I'm so used to pressing CMD-Shift-N to create a folder on the Mac. As it turns out that shortcut makes a new game object.

I've tried google, the forum, the unity hotkeys page but no luck (or I'm going selectively blind)

Any help would be great.... it's the small things that make the world go round ...

Thanks

Jon

2. Lucas-Kazansky

Lucas-Kazansky

I would also find a hotkey for this very useful.

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Use the system preferences to create a shortcut for the Assets -> Create -> Folder menu item. You can also change the Create Empty shortcut to something other than Cmd-shift-N if you want.

--Eric

mohitme379 likes this.
  4. Dunks184

Dunks184

Hi Eric,

Do I need the Pro version to be able to add shortcuts/hotkeys? I found where to change a few existing hotkeys but not all of them are there, and I can't see any way to add one.

Duncan

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The Pro license is the same as the Personal license as far as engine features go. (Aside from the splash screen.) But anyway I was talking about the system preferences, not Unity. Hopefully it's clear that this topic is about Macs; no idea if Windows has anything similar.

--Eric

6. Raptosauru5

Raptosauru5

I also use to press Ctrl+Shift+N to create new folders on daily basis. It is a bit odd that someone decided that this shortcut will be doing something else while not giving any shortcut for the original function that is natural in both Windows and MacOS.

It would make sense for the shortcuts to behave like in Blender where it depends what Window your mouse is hovering over. This way Ctrl+Shift+N could be used for both creating Empty GameObject and creating a new folder in the Project window in natural way!

I think Unity overall lacks a lot in shortcuts and should be reconsidered. I know I can assign shortcuts myself in their nice Edit/Shortcuts menu, but I think there should be assigned much more of them by default in the way that is best for fastest and most efficient workflow.

7. lxander42

lxander42

Go to the top ribbon bar.

The Shortcuts are under: Edit>Shortcuts

From there, use the keyboard layout to assign a shortcut for creating a new folder. You can also save a custom profile so you do not disrupt the default, I recommend this. You can rearrange the shortcuts and create any number of new ones. I am using Unity 2020.1.

Ga2Z, lebmilebi and Perturbator858 like this.