Search Unity

Is there a GUI package to modify game object properties in real-time (AR / iOS)

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by jshaw3, Aug 26, 2019.

1. jshaw3

jshaw3

I'm relatively new to Unity and just starting exploring AR with the ARFoundation library. I've been using Processing, OpenFrameworks, p5.js and three.js for years now and have always found it very helpful and more efficient during development to implement GUI libraries that update variables during runtime. An example of these libraries is http://www.sojamo.de/libraries/controlP5/ and https://github.com/dataarts/dat.gui. I think in a regular Unity game environment running on a desktop or laptop a tool like this may not make as much sense but with the time it takes to build a Unity AR app, build the Xcode app and install on your phone is definitely an inefficiency. Especially when you're trying to fine-tune small environment variables, object scaling or tweaking the placement of game objects in the AR scene. A tool like this seems like would really speed up the dev and debug AR workflow if you could add variable listeners to game object properties and have sliders, toggles etc in a GUI to fine-tune and adjust game objects or physics variables in realtime, get the finalized values from the gui to put back into your code without doing multiple re-builds.

I've looked around a bit and haven't found a Unity library that does this or one that is similar to the ones I've shared above for Processing or Javascript. Is there a package or something like this for Unity? Or another workflow or package that I should be using that could be recommended.

Thanks,

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

3. jshaw3

jshaw3

This does look like it might help. I wasn't familiar with Unity Remote Settings but it looks pretty powerful and could help me with my workflows. Thanks!