Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a good approach to implementing battle damage to clothes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dvnexus, Apr 2, 2021.

1. dvnexus

dvnexus

Is there a good approach to having battle damage in your player character?

Like... is it easier to just swap the model with the damaged version/s

or is it better to have damaged alternatives to the armor/clothes the model is wearing?

If you have a good method the former, I'd love to hear it.

2. N1warhead

N1warhead

One thing you could do is make a shader with transparency (perhaps Alpha Cutoff) and use the alpha channel to simulate tears in the clothing or holes in the armor kind of thing.

That's probably at least the more efficient and speedy way to do it - doesn't look as good of course.

3. neginfinity

neginfinity

It, depends on the game. Basically approaches that exist are:

1. Swap models.
    2. Swap materials
    3. Alpha-cutout texture for holes.
    4. Actually alter cloth model (haven't seen this one for a while. It was present in blood rayne 1 where you could slice environment cloth per-vertex).

If you swap models, it will cause visible "jerk" in movement, as the new model will not inherit movement of the old.
    If you swap materials or implement "holes", then cloth will not behave completely correctly, as "torn" pieces will not be moving as if they're torn.
    And actually altering cloth model is difficult.

Antypodish likes this.
  4. MDADigital

MDADigital

You could also use stencil buffer to create the effect of chunks of meat missing etc

5. neginfinity

neginfinity

Unless I'm missing something, that would be a royal pain to do in a scene with shadowcasting light sources. And an easier way to do that would likely to cull geometry through geometry shader, tesselator and then on pixel level.

6. MDADigital

MDADigital

That's true valve solved it with a blood texture were the alpha was used to kill pixels

Screenshot_20210402-125111.jpg

tmonestudio likes this.
  7. dvnexus

dvnexus

Would you say, swapping models will be easier since my transition to armor damage is an explosion and scattered material during the change?

8. ippdev

ippdev

Swapping may work for armor pieces. But say it is a forearm gauntlet and the sword strike is near the wrist, will you have a separate model for each strike zone or does that accuracy matter. Another method would be to find the strike points from the collision, get the local vertices and jitter them based on collision magnitude. A component that does this could be dropped on any number of collidable surfaces and sustain the damage after the collision.

9. neginfinity

neginfinity

The jerk of suddenly spawned cloth piece will be incredibly obvious. I wouldn't use this method.

I'd either look into material swap or alpha cutout texture, or I would look into detaching pieces of cloth at runtime.

Another possibility would be to destroy cloth parts completely as in remove it from the model, and spawn particle system to hide moment of disappearance.

Like ippdev said, swapping would work better for rigid armor pieces. And not for clothes.

10. dvnexus

dvnexus

Would you happen to know a good tutorial for this? I'll settle with cloth tears for now. I'll probably just add bullet scorch marks on the armor.

11. N1warhead

N1warhead

The simplest approach is take your texture into a paint program and simple erase areas with an eraser, save it out as a PNG (make it a different texture).

And then in run time just load that texture onto the material.

But sorry no tutorials, I'm sure you can find something about this with a google search or youtube.

12. dvnexus

dvnexus

Okay thx! I'll look into it :)

13. kdgalla

kdgalla

Another cool thing you can do with alpha cut-off is make lots of rips with different transparency levels. Then, in the game, you can keep slowly lowering the cut-off threshold to reveal more and more damage.

14. MDADigital

MDADigital

And with property block in theory atleast you should he able to do it in one set pass

unityunity