Search Unity

Is there a far clipping distance for UI elements?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by angel_m, Mar 24, 2020.

1. angel_m

angel_m

I have some UI elements in my game. The Canvas is Screen Space Overlay. I'm using Unity 2018 LTS, last version.
    The UI elements are not rendered-visible when far from Camera (about 1000) but my camera far clipping plane is set to 5000. The UI elements have not any layer assigned, so it is not a cull distance issue.
    I want the UI elements to be rendered and visible at any possible distance (camera far clipping plane).

Any idea?

2. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

If the canvas is really set to "screen space - overlay" everything inside should be rendered for sure. No camera is used for that mode, so it cannot be related to clipping distances.

3. LuyangMoo

LuyangMoo

This is probably dead, but a work around that i found was to have the UI element move closer to the camera. (worldPointTransform = Transform component of the worldPoint) (If you only have a position, you will need to create a new Gameobject in game to make a Transform) =>

Transform worldPointTransform;

void Start()
    {
    worldPointTransform = new GameObject().transform;
    }

Code (CSharp):
    1. worldPointTransform.LookAt(Camera.main.transform); //looks towards the camera, so the transform.forward is pointing towards the cam
    3. worldPointTransform.position += worldPointTransform.forward * distanceDivider; //example, if distanceDivider = 2, the worldPoint is set to the halfway point from the camera to where it originally was