Search Unity

Is there a "Don't import" option for 3ds max files?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by GregorVonBeef, Nov 23, 2020.

1. GregorVonBeef

GregorVonBeef

Hi
    I have saved a 3ds max file in my assets folder so i can save it to the cloud and keep it safe.

The thing is i don't want it to automatically import the models, I'm doing this manually. Because its auto importing, the inspector has duplicate models and its seem to significantly increase load time.

any suggestions?

Siccity likes this.
  2. Siccity

Siccity

I've been asking the same question for a while about .blend files. I don't think there is a way to do it.

3. mgear

mgear

4. GregorVonBeef

GregorVonBeef

Wow thanks mgear that a great idea i'll give that a try tonight!

5. GregorVonBeef

GregorVonBeef

I couldn't get the to work so i have ended up making a separate project just to store these types of files, seems cleaner and works for me.

6. Siccity

Siccity

The way I do it, is have a Workfiles folder in your project root. That way the workfiles aren't too far away, and you can easily ignore the folder in version control systems.

7. George-Ing

George-Ing

Unity Technologies

If you're not looking to use them at runtime, I would suggest storing them outside of a Unity project - there's no reason for Unity to "know" about them.

If you're looking to use them at runtime - e.g. manually parsing - then "Assets/StreamingAssets" within the project root would be your friend. Those files will not be imported but will be copied into the build.