Search Unity

Is there a common collaboration contract I can cite?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SoundStormLabs, Nov 17, 2018.

1. SoundStormLabs

SoundStormLabs

I remember there were a couple kinds of contracts I used for a team a long while ago that I got from a legal resource, but I can't remember what they're called. The situation I'm in is a developer created a "company" (though didn't actual file for such) and wrote what I think is an unprofessional and somewhat vague contract. Are there standard contracts for collaborating game developers I can look up and download?

2. Everything is unprofessional if you guys don't get an actual lawyer who tailor a contract for your specific needs.

There is the semi-professional (semi-unprofessional rather) when you get a "standard" contract from a lawyer and it only contains the generic elements.
    If you choose this route: http://gamedevkit.com/ (and if you want to choose the professional way, just contact him, AFAIK he's still active and will tailor contract to your needs)

And completely unprofessional when you download a template from the internet and you think it will do any good when it comes to legal issues in reality.

3. SoundStormLabs

SoundStormLabs

Well generally you automatically own whatever files you create, you hold the copyright to that content. The contracts regard how such content is used and managed, who actually owns it in a project or whether it's licensed by the original artist. For instance a lot programmers re-use coding from previous games. A large company would own that code, but an indie programmer retains their rights to the code and only licenses the right to use their code for a finished game in order to keep using it.

4. Depends on your contract and/or your location -> get a lawyer.